Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help SYS32 error

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmh1

mrsmh1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yesterday laptop working fine today wont start. Before welcome screen i got "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". No safe mode, no last good config, etc. Used OS disk to try repair. Chkdsk won't complete and says some info unrecoverable. Tried MS support link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 and when I enter the commands i get file could not copy or invalid command. Tried fixboot then got unmountable boot volume error. Tried recovery console again with the MS instructions and it seemed to accept the first command entry "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak" then crashed. Then started the comp again and was slow on the f key and it got to desktop but wouldn't load.

Now today the original error "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" has changed to "The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT or its log or alternate" and the recovery console keeps crashing.

How can I repair this? I'm fine with reformatting but first I need to copy files out of my documents. Any way to get those onto a flash drive or something? I don't have the option of getting the HDD onto another system.

Edited by mrsmh1, 22 February 2012 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

... first I need to copy files out of my documents. Any way to get those onto a flash drive or something?

Firstly, retrieve copies of your important personal files to a flashdrive or external USB hard drive, using a bootable Linux disk. Then we can have a look at getting your system up and running again ... and we can use the same Linux bootable disk to do that also.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No itís not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. Itís Linux Mint.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

When you have successfully retrieved copies of your important personal files, before doing anything else you should test the hard drive since the corruption of the registry hive SYSTEM could be due to a failing hard drive.

Test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working.The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#4 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

ok. will try puppy but what is slackware/ubuntu? thanks

#5 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I think I found the right HDD utility at: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

Under the Drive Fitness Test is this the right download: CD image (2,720 K)
or do I need all?

#6 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

i loaded the bootable puppy disk hit f2 to boot from disk and the screen said missing operating system

#7 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

damn grabbed the wrong puppy. gonna try again with lucid ubuntu.

as far as burning, i have sonic digital media le7 and it creates bootable disks, but doesnt specify iso options. will that work?

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

Sorry ... must have just missed your first reply and I've been out working all day. Are you still there? Did you have any success and make any progress?

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 February 2012 - 01:41 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Slacko Puppy is the one you want: It is very good!
Download Slacko 5.3.1 from ibiblio.org: slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-MAIN.iso <<< direct download link

If your hard drive is Hitachi brand, then, yes, CD image <<< direct download link is the one you want to download, and you will then need to burn the .ISO image to CD.

==================
Test the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

Download the Drive Fitness Test, CD image from Hitachi's Downloads page.
http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
Boot from the CD:
  • Run the Quick/Short test and then the Extended/Long test.
Please post the results.
===========================

You said: "i loaded the bootable puppy disk hit f2 to boot from disk and the screen said missing operating system"
It appears that you did not burn the .ISO image file to CD in the correct manner.

You said: "i have sonic digital media le7 and it creates bootable disks, but doesnt specify iso options. will that work?"
Apparently not, but I do not know for sure.

An .ISO image file needs to be burned to CD in the correct manner, and there are only a few select programs that will enable you to do this. There are versions of Nero and Sonic (Roxio) that will do the job, but to minimise the problems you might have, unless you are familiar with burning .ISO images, I recommend that you use ImgBurn and follow the directions given to create both the Slacko Puppy CD and the DFT CD. When you have burned the .ISO image to CD in the correct manner, the CD will be bootable.

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 February 2012 - 01:48 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

per this link you posted in your first reply:

"You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux"

it said:
"Downloading Puppy Linux
Open Puppy Linux download page and find "Download from ibiblio.org". Click lupu-<version number>.iso link (for example, "lupu-520.iso").
Note that there might be some other Puppy distros on the page (such as Slacko Puppy), but you need Lucid Puppy (lupu), the Ubuntu-based one. Always make sure you start downloading a file that starts with "lupu"!"

Time was an issue before you replied to my additional questions. Maybe Slacko didnt work due to a bad burn but then i saw the Slacko/Lucid info so I did download Lucid Puppy with ImgBurn. Is Lucid OK? It seems to be working. I am still retrieving files and haven't tried the disk test yet. Hopefully later today.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Is Lucid OK? It seems to be working. I am still retrieving files and haven't tried the disk test yet. Hopefully later today.

Lucid Puppy will do just fine: Seems like it is working for you, and you are able to backup your files.

Thanks for pointing out the conflicting (Lucid versus "other Puppy distros") advice in the article that I linked you to. I hadn't realised that was there. I don't know why that might have been written: I have found the Slacko version to work well, and in fact be easier to use, so I would have considered it preferable.

Let us know how you get on testing the hard drive, and we'll continue from there when we know the result.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

I know it's been awhile, but I am now trying to do the drive test, got SMART failure, and could use assistance. Are you still available?

Edited by mrsmh1, 08 June 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yes, I am here right now. What's the problem?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 mrsmh1

mrsmh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I am doing the drive fitness test. The only option I've been able to access so far is to test the ATA Primary Master, and the result is SMART failure. When it scans for devices it detects IDE Primary Slave, IDE Secondary Master, SCSI Controller, and a couple others that flash by too fast for me to read, but those don't appear in the device list for testing.

Regarding the SMART failure, it says SMART is enabled, but bad. Would disabling SMART help?

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

I am doing the drive fitness test. The only option I've been able to access so far is to test the ATA Primary Master, and the result is SMART failure.

If S.M.A.R.T is indicating a failure, then it is a pretty sure bet the hard drive has failed.

You wrote: "When it scans for devices it detects IDE Primary Slave, IDE Secondary Master, SCSI Controller, and a couple others that flash by too fast for me to read, but those don't appear in the device list for testing."
Being a laptop, it is likely that only one hard drive is present, and this would be configured as ATA Primary Master .... and it would be the only device in the system that the utility would recognise as being present/being able to test.

You asked: "Would disabling SMART help?"
No, that is supposed to be an "early" warning system, but unfortunately, it often does not issue a warning until it is far too late.

It would be possible to run more/other tests on the hard drive, but given the S.M.A.R.T failure reported, it is unlikely to be of any benefit. The hard drive should be replaced, followed by a fresh installation of Windows.

Sorry about the bad news.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users