Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I tell what's making my paging file big?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cuistech

cuistech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I know I'm probably missing something painfully obvious, but how can I identify what's writing to my pagefile.sys and inflating it? Knowing that will help me identify and kill the processes causing it.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. Also added topic descriptor. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

The page file fluctuates normally, unless the user has set a static size.

I'm not sure at all why you are concerned with the size of the pagefile...or changes to it.

What version of Windows?

Why do you think something has to be done about the pagefile?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#3 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Server 08. We're just running out of disk space during certain parts of the day, and I have identified that's when the page file blots to double-digit gigs. I'm just trying to identify what's using the page file like that, and how to restrain it.

I'm not worried about the page file itself, just what's making it bloat.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

You can use the perforance monitor to see what the usage is per program. I am going to venture a guess and say you access a database like SQL on the server? If so you may have exceeded the number of users\requests that the system memory can handle and it is flowing over into the page file. I would also do a standard system component check related to the system memory and the drive systems. I will bet you have a high disk queue number and supper high read/writes to the memory. Check out this ARTICLE for more info.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users