Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:05 AM
Windows XP Home edition, normally running Avast!, MalwareBytes and SpybotS&D
This is a "Backup" computer and not used all that often by myself, wife, daughter. Turned it on one day to blank desktop and System Check pop up. Various online site, ran Malware Bytes, etc. Removed (I think) the system check virus but now having an assortment of issues, so I know it's not 100% solved. Here's where I'm at:
1) Malwarebytes and Avast still occasionally reporting that they've stopped "potentially harmful action--outgoing".
2) Google occasionally redirects to another site (often when searching for virus removal advice)
3) Can not complete installation of Avast, MalwareBytes or Spybot S&D updates.
4) Can not access or run System Restore from start menu. If I access from "Run" command, it hangs up and will not complete running.
5) Many programs, icons and folders still "hidden"...have been resetting properties 1 at a time to make them visible.
Have run various spyware / virus removal tools over the years, so looking to start "fresh" with some expert advice. What's the first step?