Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would using these programs together cause problems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlexandraMW

AlexandraMW

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

Right now, I use McAfee Security-As-A-Service and MalwareBytes free edition. I would like to download Super AntiSpyware as well. Would that cause any problems with my computer?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

Good morning, AlexandraMW.

I believe that the McAfee and Malwarebytes should play well (and nice) together but I would (and do) download Super Antispyware and run it as a stand alone scanner without the Real-Time protection running.

I run Malwarebytes (PRO) with Avast! and in concert they work very well, I know this because I don't always surf safe :whistle: and sometimes my wife (on her laptop, running the same set up) clicks on some recent picture of Brad Pitt, George Clooney, etc. and either one or the other apps blocks some nasty site(s).

Each weekend we run full scans with each - Avast and then Malwarebytes - while we're out running our errands, and once those are completed, we launch / update Super Antispyware (SAS) and delete what ever that finds - which in most cases are simply tracking cookies.

Once SAS has done it's job, we close it down (i.e. don't leave it running in the background) and then *poof* off we go.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 AlexandraMW

AlexandraMW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Thank you very much for the advice.
I'll download it off here in a moment. Is there an option to download it without real-time protection?

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

Hi AlexandraMW,

It's the paid PRO version that comes with real-time protection.

The FREE version, which offers on-demand scanning only, can be downloaded at the link below.
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Red Dawn, thanks for the info, I guess 'cause I'm running the PRO version (which I got a good deal on) I never really remarked my wife's laptop (which is running the FREE version) didn't have it.

Have a great day,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

AlexandraMW you may also want to read: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users