Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

configure netgear router to receive magic packet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 outmeal

outmeal

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

I need to wake my computer from a remote location, I can do a WOL but only on my local network (duh!) but I want to use the so called Magic Packet to wake my computer up.
My router doesnt have WOL as an option and It wont upgrade the firmware since Netgear routers from Comcast are blocked.

So, I want to wake my PC which is always 192.168.1.10, what exactly do I have to do in the router to send the "magic packet" ?

This whole idea is about being able to wake my PC with my phone (either with a magic packet android app or using a website that helps sending the magic packet).
Then connect to my PC with Team Viewer (Either Windows version or Android).

I can leave my computer on ? YES ! but lets try to be green here :D

I can connect to my router via web or telnet if I enable this? YES! But WOL option is not on my router menu and I dont know if a new firmware has it, and even if it does, Comcast Netgear routers are blocked becuase they think end-users will brick them or something! which It sucks if there is a security issue I can't even patch this thing ?!?! wow.

I will be doing some more test the rest of the week with my laptop and android phone, these will be connected to neighbors Wifi making the packet sending officially "remote" or "non-local".

I'm new btw, nice forums and Thank you! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

I use teamviewer alot. Just leave your computer on, and set up "unattended access" on your computer, and you can use it whenever you like.
You can also set up outlook to turn on teamviewer if it receives an email with the header" turn on teamviewer" or whatever you like. Set it as an "action" or "rule".

#3 outmeal

outmeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

:huh: I guess that is my best option.

If magic packet fails, plan C would be to leave an ipod running 24/7 with some type of web server/command shell/linux thing etc.., connect to it, and wake up my PC from this small device.
It sure uses less energy than the PC. Ipod is jail Broken?!. :busy:

#4 outmeal

outmeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

I got it working, maybe I had the wrong mac address ? well now it works.
No firmware update required, no software required. screenshots will be posted soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users