Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only open certain EXE files. Google Redirect virus.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

I cannot run the tools....
CKScanner.
Combofix
dds
Minitoolbox
OTL
GMER
hijackthis

When I double click on them. It appears on the task manager then they close.
Most of the programs won't open on the computer as well.

Programs that open:
Firefox nightly/ Waterfox
internet explorer, picture viewer, stickynote

Regular installations of firefox do not open.

Antiviruses will not open either.
Ad-aware
Spybot
MalwareBytes
Antivir
IObit Malware Fighter.

Right Clicking on properties on "My Computer" does not work.
I can open Control Panel.
Open CMD.

Performed drive scan and
sfc /scannow

Windows 7 x64 Home edition

Edited by code13, 22 February 2012 - 03:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/443640 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you should not bother creating a GMER log.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Computer is able to turn on, boot and log in successfully.
Unable to open any file nor run any program except Waterfox, internet explorer, and sticky notes.
I can open up command prompt, explorer windows, control panel, regedit.System properties does not open.
Unable to create any logs. The problems are the same under safe mode.
Windows 7 Home Edition x64
I do not have the original cd, it did not come with the laptop since it does not have a cd drive.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

----------------------------------------------

Let's first see if we can restore your .exe file association which are the reason for the failing programs.

Click here to access the registry files.

Save the zip file to your desktop and extract the file (usually by right clicking the file and selecting Extract All.

Then double click the unzipped file and it will run.

When you have run the program do not reboot the machine.

Next download aswMBR and run it

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thank you for the reponse.
I went to the link. I downloaded the zip folder. I unzipped it. Double clicked on the reg file and ran it. I got the message saying the keys and values were successfully added to the registry.
I downloaded the aswMBR.exe file.
I double clicked the aswMBR.exe file and it did not open. I did not receive any error messages.
Then I went back to the reg file, right clicked on it and clicked merge.
I got the message saying the keys and values were successfully added to the registry.
I refollowed the steps and the aswMBR.exe still would not run.

After running the win7 exe fix twice, I exported it to show you the values and keys that are in my reg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser]
@="@shell32.dll,-50944"
"Extended"=""
"SuppressionPolicyEx"="{F211AA05-D4DF-4370-A2A0-9F19C09756A7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{ea72d00e-4960-42fa-ba92-7792a7944c1d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership]
@="Take ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
@="Compatibility"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\CmdLineExt]
@="{F0407C3D-349C-42B9-B83E-821E31623DF9}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Compatibility]
@="{1d27f844-3a1f-4410-85ac-14651078412d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{B41DB860-64E4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}]
@=""

Edited by code13, 03 March 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications including Firewalls, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Click the Windows 'Start' button > Select 'Run' - then copy/paste this into the run box & click OK: (assuming ComboFix.exe is on the desktop as was instructed)

%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe

It should now run so follow the prompts.

• As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Posted Image

#7 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Combofix did not open.

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Looks like the rootkit has your machine locked down pretty tight.

We need to boot the machine using an alternative operating system thereby bypassing the infection.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Next download dumpit to your USB
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Click on sdb1 (sdb1 represents the USB drive).
  • Double click on the dumpit file.
  • A black window will pop-up and it will dump and zip the MBR to your USB drive.
  • Press Enter to exit the black window.
  • Click on HOME tab and choose Power Off to turn off xPUD.
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back on your working computer.
  • Locate the mbr.zip file in your USB drive and attach it when you reply.

Posted Image

#9 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

F12 did not prompt me to boot from usb.Used another method.
File is attached.

Thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  mbr.zip   2.41KB   8 downloads

#10 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Try the following

Download and Run RKill

Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 3 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • Please post the resulting log in your next reply.

Now run TDSSKiller

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.

• Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.

• Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l report.txt

• Now click Start Scan.
  • If Malicious objects are found, ensure Cure is selected then click Continue > Reboot now.
  • Click Close
  • Finally press Report and copy and paste the contents into your next reply. If you've rebooted then the log will be found at C:\

Posted Image

#11 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

The link to the First rkill does not work. I used 2 (no report appeared) and followed the instructions for TDSkiller. Then I tried 3, (no report appeard) and attempted TDSkiller again. No reports were created and neither programs ran. It is weird I am able to use Waterfox, but all the other programs will not open.

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

You have a rootkit called TDL4/Pihar/ZeroAccess. It likes to kill any tools that try to run so we need to remove it from outside the Windows environment.

Please do the following:
  • Download tdl_fix.sh and save it to the xPUD flash drive.
  • Boot into xPUD then click the File tab.
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Click on the folder under mnt that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • You should see the tdl_fix.sh file in the main window.
  • Select Tool from the Menu
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash tdl_fix.sh then press Enter.
  • Read the warning then type y and press Enter to continue.
  • Type sda then press Enter when prompted.
  • You will be shown a list of partitions to choose marking active.
  • Type 1 then press Enter.
  • If you are presented with a warning about no bootloader files, type n then press Enter to choose another. If this happens, type 2 to select partition 2 then press Enter.
  • When you receive no warning about bootloader files but are presented with another view of the partition structure and asked if it looks correct, type y then press Enter.
  • The script will complete and prompt you to reboot the computer.
  • Close the Terminal window and restart back into Windows.
  • Post the contents of the tdl_fix.txt file that was created on your flash drive and let me know how the computer is behaving.

**NOTE: - in the event there is a problem booting the computer normally after running the script, run the tdl_fix.sh script again using the following command.

bash tdl_fix.sh -restore

Make sure to leave a space to either side of tdl_fix.sh in the command.
This will prompt you to use the file tdl_mbr_sda.bin on drive sda.
Click OK, and then reboot the computer.
This is a backup of the original mbr and will restore it to it's current state.
Posted Image

#13 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

It did not work.
I was able to see the warning. I clicked y,
then it said ...

sda0.bin sda0info.txt sdb0.bin sdb0info.txt

Press enter to abort then close this window

#14 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Boot the PC into safe mode and run TDSSKiller

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.

• Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.

• Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l report.txt

• Now click Start Scan.
  • If Malicious objects are found, ensure Cure is selected then click Continue > Reboot now.
  • Click Close
  • Finally press Report and copy and paste the contents into your next reply. If you've rebooted then the log will be found at C:\

Posted Image

#15 code13

code13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Did not work. It did not create a report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users