Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I view RAW security camera footage on computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

I have an M-JPEG security DVR. It will only export moving surveillance footage to a USB drive. The product came with a proprietary HDD viewer software that is supposed to enable you to view the footage on a home PC. But the software is not compatible with Windows 7 Home premium, and I am only able to view exported camera footage in RAW format also.

Why do they even bother selling this crap with useless software?

How can I view RAW format motion picture footage on my PC? Is there a special software I can download from Internet?

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

You may try VLC player, adobe, and if those do not work; convert the RAW footage into avi, mpg or any other format you wish.
Have you tried to right click and install with compatibility mode?

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I actually have VLC player installed, and setup for auto play. And VLC does not open automatically open when I plug in the USB drive. So I don't know that VLC player will work either. The HDD viewer software that came with DVR is horrible. I've already tried to work with it.

#4 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

open up VLC player and drag and drop the videos into its playlist and try to see if it'll play.

#5 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Code 13, thanks for the suggestions. But none of them will work. The problem is that I can't even open the contents of the USB drive. I get the message boxes below

'You need to format the disk in drive E before you can use it' and ' Volume does not contain recognized file system.'
But this makes no sense, because you can only format to FAT or NTFS. And then you couldn't view the moving footage if you formatted to FAT or NTFS anyway because it can only be viewed in RAW.

So without being able to open the file on the USB drive, I am unable to drag and drop, convert, or install with compatibility mode. Can't do any of that.

I also downloaded a free RAW viewer and that didn't work either.

Anything else I can try?

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=326

Hi Dave.
VirtualDub might be able to open the RAW files. This version claims to be able to do so.

Not sure about formatting drive E, except that, if the USB drive is FAT, (You didn't say if yours was FAT or NTSF)
then it won't recognize files over 4 gig in size. (I think) Raw files can be quite large, and may not work on FAT. Can you try a USB drive formatted NTFS? Then maybe you drag and drop it to a video converter, or viewer like VLC.

are there any audio/video "out" ports on the DVR? Maybe you could record the footage real time to a DVD recorder.

No guarantees.

Edited by 12x48y, 24 February 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#7 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

Do not format the USB if it is raw format. I had thought you meant the video was RAW as in the extension. Example Video01.raw
But if the FORMAT of the usb is RAW, as opposed to fat, fat32, NTFS, it might be only readible on your dvr system. If the video is backed up onto your DVR system, then you can format the USB to NTFS, and reexport the video onto the usb and see if your problem is fixed. It is best to attempt on a spare USB before formating the RAW usb.

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm confused, I also thought he said the video was Raw.

Is this the DVR?

http://www.q-see.com/products/security-product.php?ProductId=16

If so. . . I don't know if there is a workaround for your problem. The DVR won't work with your OS.

Dave said . . . 'You need to format the disk in drive E before you can use it' and ' Volume does not contain recognized file system.'
But this makes no sense, because you can only format to FAT or NTFS. And then you couldn't view the moving footage if you formatted to FAT or NTFS anyway because it can only be viewed in RAW.

If you connect a USB external HD, or PC to DVR for backup, it will format and erase all the files. So the DVR will format the external hard drive to it's own format? Maybe that's why the PC won't read it. That's not good.

From link above . . . You can use a PC hard drive in the DVR. However, the DVR will format it which will delete any PC operating system and files on the hard drive.

You can also connect a TV to the DVR. Seems to me that if you can connect a TV to the DVR, then you can connect a DVD recorder (or VCR) to it and back up or view the footage real time to a DVD (or VCR) Again, no guarantees.

From link above . . . You can use a TV or LCD screen with RCA yellow jack input.

Here are some other home security options. If anyone is interested.

You can use a free program called "Dorgem" that uses a webcam and motion sensor for a security cam.

I use VirtualDub on an old PC. An old Dazzle capture card, and a Homeland security camera with a motion sensor. similar to this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Security-850-Activated-Activation/dp/B000PDAZAW

I connected the Homeland motion sensor to the Dazzle, and the Dazzle to the PC.
VirtualDub will record and compress the video on the fly, and record to the PC's HD or an external HD. The time you can record is only limited to the size of the hard drive.
You can set VirtualDub to stop recording at a certain file size. I'm recording about 18 hours on 4 GIG of HD space.

Good luck.
Sorry I couldn't help.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

You could also see if anybody can help at www.videohelp.com

Be sure to post the make and model of the security system there as well as here. They do not all use any type of standard format for video.

Cheap ones may roll their own video codec just to save money and not have to pay licensing fees.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

My LCD TV dooesn't have video out for some reason. So I can't connect it to DVD recorder or VCR. Already checked into it. I'll check the other suggestions.

I don't think make/model would help. It is discontinued now. It is literally that generic. The seller can't even tell me the manufacturer's name.

12X48 is correct. The DVR won't work with Windows 7 home premium. And the manfacturer has not updated software for it.

Here is something else that will probably work. Why not record the moving footage on the TV with a camcorder?
I took still shots of TV screen footage with a digital camera, and there was little if any loss in picture quality. if I upload the camcorder footage to my PC, can I then burn camcorder moving footage to a CD or DVD?

Edited by skymaster191, 28 February 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

If it has video out why not get a inexpensive video capture card that will work with windows 7 and use that to capture?

Here is a page from an online vendor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001772&IsNodeId=1&Description=video%20capture%20card&name=Hauppauge&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

This is the one I use
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116030
Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder 1212 USB 2.0 Interface
Was: $199.99
Now: $179.99
Records up to 1080i via Component cables.

For me, Worked good with my Q6600 CPU computer & XP, Still works good with I7 930 & Windows 7 64bit.

Edited by rotor123, 09 March 2012 - 03:09 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

My LCD TV doesn't have video out for some reason. So I can't connect it to DVD recorder or VCR. Already checked into it. I'll check the other suggestions.

Here's how I would do it . . .
Your MJPEG DVR to DVD recorder "Video in" via yellow cable The one your using now to hook up your TV. Might need an adapter (Radio Shack) Then . . . DVD recorder "Video out" to TV.
You might have to turn the TV, DVD recorder, or DVR off, then back on, to get it to autodetect.

http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/a4019-how-to-transfer-dvr-recordings-to-dvd.html

Works for me. I do this set up with Dish Network DVR.

But your camcorder trick will work also. I did the same thing with my camcorder.

if I upload the camcorder footage to my PC, can I then burn camcorder moving footage to a CD or DVD?

Yes, but it depends on the camcorders video format. and what you want to do with the video. Burn to a DVD as (Video) that will play on any DVD player? or just back up the (file) as data.
You might have to convert it to MPEG 2 to burn it to a DVD as video (VIDEO_TS) There is always a loss in quality if you convert from one format to another.

My Sony camcorder format is MPEG 2 , AC3, so it's already DVD compliant. If yours is also, no problem burning to DVD.
But if you have an HD camcorder, you can't burn a video to DVD, because DVD's won't accept HD video. (Need Blu Ray disc for that)
Same if your camcorders format is MPG 4, or .MOV. Needs to be converted to MPEG 2 to make a DVD video that will play on any DVD player.

but you could always burn any of those formats as data, to either external hard drive, CD or DVD. I think that's what you want to do, right?
If yes, then just burn the camcorder files as data, on either CD or DVD.

Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder 1212

I hear good things about this product. Gots to get me one. :)

Hope it helps.
Mark

Edited by 12x48y, 01 March 2012 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users