Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Integrated Intel(R) HD graphic card. Can I upgrade this? Or am I stuck?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaP

AmandaP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi guys! Been on the forum all day long, I have to say that you all have helped me quite a bit :D Anyway.....

I have a Dell Inspiron 580
Windows 7 64 bit(can't figure out what service pack is installed, if there is one, so I apologize)
RAM: 4GB (3.80 GB Usable)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3CPU 550 @3.20 GHz 3.2 GHz

So, my question is.... Since it's integrated... Could I upgrade to a better one and just disable that one? My husband have been having this debate for a year now LOL What I want to do is be able to play Final Fantasy 14. Last time I checked the recommended system requirements for graphics card was: NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX 460 with 768 MB VRAM or equivalent.

If I am able to do this, what is a good equivalent? Thank you in advance for your help :D

Heres the page about my pc:
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Index

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

The spec page you linked to doesn't work.

Is it the full size 580, or the slim case?

GTX460 pulls ~160 watts which means...............a new power supply. If you have a slim case, videocard won't fit, and finding a 500 watt PSU will be about impossible. Likewise, if it is the full width case, you will still have to measure to verify the card will fit the case, as well as invest in a new PSU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Well, its a bit difficult to tell, what you have linked is a dell 4700, but the specs you listed are definitly not from a 4700. the 4700 lists pentium 4s as the best CPU availaible for it, and you list a i3. . .are you sure you have the right model? anyway, if the computer has a PCI express 16 slot, you should be able to upgrade the video card, however you may have to upgrade the PSU as well. I could give you more complete information if I had the correct model number and specs.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 AmandaP

AmandaP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

So sorry, don't know how that happened... yikes. Let me try this again then.... if it still comes up all crazy, the specs I wrote out are the correct. Just wanted to post a link for you guys to verify with. It is the full size one. I have never opened it up before either.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-580/pd lets try this... and thanks again :D

#5 AmandaP

AmandaP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

So sorry, don't know how that happened... yikes. Let me try this again then.... if it still comes up all crazy, the specs I wrote out are the correct. Just wanted to post a link for you guys to verify with. It is the full size one. I have never opened it up before either.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-580/pd lets try this... and thanks again :D

Just want to make it clear I guess its the inspiron 580s desktop.... It says slim tower... but It looks pretty standard size to me and seems bigger than any tower I have ever had before...

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

To verify the size, can you please take a photo of it and upload it to your next post?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

The s after the model means slimline in Dell nomenclature.
Thus a Inspiron 580 is a standard tower and a Inspiron 580s is a slimline.

If you do take a picture a Michael has requested to verify please place a ruler so that it shows the width of the case.

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Just so you know, Final Fantasy XIV is being redone with a different engine and is due out either later this year or early next. The current game crushes almost every graphics card and isn't very well optimized. As for your case, you can play it safe and get a low-profile card or measure your case from fron't to back and its width. Also, any GPU good enough for gaming will probably require a decent power supply of 500W or 550W.

3939.png

#9 AmandaP

AmandaP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

To verify the size, can you please take a photo of it and upload it to your next post?

Alright, thank you :D I will be doing that tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users