Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newby Greetings!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rory8535

rory8535

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Greetings, All! :hello:

I found you folks while doing a Google search for... (I, uhm, don't seem to remember what for, now!) Anyway, I'm here, and hopeful that I can pick up enough info to keep my poor ol' 'puter limping along awhile longer! Dratted thing is slow as molasses in wintertime, and freezes about as quick as uninsulated pipes on a January night in WV :cold: ! Of course, I haven't a clue as what to do for it (and it doesn't help that it's a shared computer, either--both my roommate and I [and sometimes my roommates boyfriend! <_< ] use it!) But I really enjoy my computer--it's a major conduit to the outside world for me, since it's hard for me to get out'n'about these days, being disabled--but I only use it for what I consider "the basics": email; photos (which go onto a thumb drive); the occasional visit to--my bane! :blush: --eBay; and the infrequent chat with a friend, on either Gmail or Yahoo IM. Well, also a bit of research, and reading on websites, of course! But I don't even play games on it! Still, it's a rare occasion when I can complete a normal 2-3 hour online session without the thing freezing, or me at least needing to reboot... complete with various XXX- :censored: -rated phrases and all.

(Hey! Maybe I just need some new words!?! I guess my regular ones could have lost their power, after such frequent use!?! [*making note to self: "Self, find new words of power!"*]*)

(* This is a joke, just in case I'm about to get flamed to ashes: my sense of humor can sometimes be rather perverse!)

Anyway, my computer is an older eMachine with Windows XP, and has both IE 8 and Google Chrome on it. Also, a bunch of junk that I know *I* never use... Unfortunately, I have no idea what those things might be. (If anyone has questions, please just ask, and I'll do my best to answer them!)

For now, though, on to my real purpose, before I get in trouble for off-topic posting!

My Introduction:

I'm a soon-to-be 54-year-old disabled resident of the High Plains Desert in SE WA state (read: just off-center of nowhere at all), and a transplant from the more moderate--and, to my way of thinking, more pleasant!--climes of the Carolinas', from whence I came some 7 years ago now (and I ~still~ haven't gotten used to the winters here! Where do they hide the Sun for these 6 long month stretches!?!) Besides complaining :whistle: , I keep myself occupied as a hobby jeweler, and I also enjoy woodcarving. I have several dogs--the smallest being a very sweet, non-yappy, 4-pound Chihuahua; the largest is a 135-pound, not-quite-finished-growing St Bernard (who's best buddies with the Chihuahua, if you can imagine that!)--and I love to sit outside with them in nice weather (preferably while carving!)

I also do a little gardening--mostly in containers--and have recently discovered that I'm pretty decent with a pencil, pen, and paper, making sketches of the things I want to carve. Having discovered them, I now especially enjoy doing "ZenTangles", when I'm tired of reading (hard to believe, but it *does* happen!) A boring life, I admit, but mine own, and I have yet found the need for a television set (yes, this is true: I don't own a TV, or a movie player, either! :wink: ) Oh, and I don't "do" FaceBook, or that kind of online thing, either! (By choice, however, and not because I don't know how!) I guess I'm just a dinosaur!

OK, that's my intro. I want to thank you very much for having me here, and hope to find some info--perhaps even of the type that makes some sense to my very non-logical brain :scratchhead: --that I can use to improve my computer's speed and performance. But, if I can't, maybe I'll make another friend... :grinner: One can never have too many of those! :)

Regards to all: Be safe, and be well!

rory8535

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users