Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

audiobooks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

hi I have downloaded six mp3 audiobooks for the wife, if I copy them to cd it will take approx six cd disc's per story equalling 36 disc's, is there a tool that would copy the mp3 stories to a dvd, if so all six would fit on one dvd , many thanks in anticipation
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

If they're just plain old MP3's then you certainly can burn them to a DVD or any other storage medium.

Determine the total size of all the MP3s and then refer to the following table:

• <700MB
    • CD-R
  • 701MB to 4.7GB
    • DVD-R
  • 4.71GB to 8.5GB
    • DVD-R-DL
  • >8.51GB
    • Bluray, HD-DVD, USB flash drive.

Edited by Andrew, 21 February 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

1. Yes, you can write MP3 tracks onto a DVD. You will need to look up " MP3 to DVD converter" on Google to note the top results and try them.

2. Whether or not the songs will fit on a DVD really depends on how big each audio file. Most programs usually tell you when the disc is full.

6 * 700mb disc = 4200mb = 4.1 GB (a single layer DVD can hold 4.7GB of data)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

andrew and reviversoft, many thanks for your swift replies, each mp3 audiobook is less than 150mb so a 4.7 gb dvd should hold approx 31 books, next step as advised is a trip to google, again many thanks for yours and BC's help
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

#5 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I made an audio DVD once just to see if It was possible.
I used a Video editor like Sony Vegas, and used only the audio, rendered it just like it was video.
Set my chapters, and it played well on all my DVD players.
I used Wav. instead of MP3, because mp3 didn't work well in the video editor. It made scrubbing the time-line very difficult.
though, you could convert the MP3 to MP2. On my video editor, MP2 works much better than MP3.

Maybe you could use Windows Movie Maker.

Curious to know how you made out? Would you let us know?

Also should mention that your going to have to convert (resample) the MP3, it should be 48000 Hz
DVD's won't recognize 44100 Hz. You prolly know that, but thought I would mention it for those that don't.

P.S. I found it easier to just put the audioBooks on the iPod. :)

Edited by 12x48y, 24 February 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#6 leapy

leapy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

I am hoping to do something similar, but would like to know if MP3 converted and burnt to DVD would play in a normal CD player. It would be good if they do, it would save me a lot of CD. Thank you.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

CD players can not read DVDs.File size on a MP3 has no bearing on space used if converted to a audio CD.

Audio Cds: a 700 Mb CD can hold 80 minutes of audio as an audio CD. The only way to get more on there is if you had a player that could play MP3s off of a CD or DVD.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

I am hoping to do something similar, but would like to know if MP3 converted and burnt to DVD would play in a normal CD player. It would be good if they do, it would save me a lot of CD. Thank you.

Just thinking out of the box here. But you could always move the audio books (mp3) to an external hard drive, plug the external into a Blu-ray player that has the USB port, (LG Blu- Ray player have them, and it's under $100, compare that to a cake of CD/DVD's over time)

You can navigate through your external with the Blu Ray players remote.
Then you could listen to the audio book through your TV, via blu-ray player.

I'm doing this with Video, as well as audio to save on the cost of CD/DVD's and burners.

Downside is, it won't play in your car. I use the iPod for that.

Edited by 12x48y, 02 March 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#9 leapy

leapy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies to my question. I have already put the MP3 files on an external drive and they do play through the TV, but the sound quality is bad. I have put MP3 music files on CD before and the sound was ok, so I was hoping if I could do the same with these files it would cure the bad sound quality. Also I understand that it is not a good idea to have the TV on for any lenght of time without a moving image on the screen. The instructions for the CD player(Sony MHC RG 295) say that it will play MP3 also, so maybe that is something to look into. Thanks once again for your advice it is much appreciated.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Once the sound has been degraded just converting it to Audio CD will do nothing.

Audacity® is free, open source, cross-platform software for recording & editing sounds

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You could try using Audacity to improve the sound quality and see if it helps.

Edited by rotor123, 03 March 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

@ Leapy

but would like to know if MP3 converted and burnt to DVD would play in a normal CD player. It would be good if they do, it would save me a lot of CD. Thank you.

Wait, I thought you wanted to put audiobooks/audio on a DVD so you could listen to them, and save the cost of many cd's? You need a DVD player, or better yet Blu-ray player to do that. (As stated above CD players WILL NOT play DVD's)

Soooo. . .

To do that, one needs to convert the MP3 to a DVD compliant format. Such as;
Wav, MP2, AC3, DTS.

AFAIK, MP3 is not DVD compliant.

I would recommend converting to MP2, or AC3, (because the files are small, and most authors will accept them) sample rate of 48000hz, (NOT 44100hz)
Expect a loss in quality.

I recommend "Belight" to convert the MP3. It's seems to do a better job than Audacity in keeping it DVD compliant. (I've had DVD's fail when using Audacity, but not with Belight. <shrugs> don't know why)

Also I understand that it is not a good idea to have the TV on for any length of time without a moving image on the screen.

I took that into consideration when making my audio DVD. that's why I used a video editor. In the video timeline, I added a different background color every so often. it also tricked my author into thinking it had video. :)
It's a 3 hour concert in Wav with plenty of room on the DVD left over.

Another thing to consider is that DVD's may say 4.7 gig. but in reality, you may not be able to burn the full 4.7 gigs on a DVD.

Another thing to consider, if your going to listen to the audiobook/audio DVD, you'll need to set chapters. Otherwise, you may not be able to find where you left off. And have to play the DVD from start every time.
So you need some type of DVD video author to set chapter points. Nero, DVD Flick, DVDstyler, DVDauthorgui, DVD Architect. etc.

Or Google "MP3 to DVD" to find a program to do it all.

the sound quality is bad.

Sounds good on my surround sound. ;) :)

Edited by 12x48y, 04 March 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#12 leapy

leapy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for your advice and help, but I think I had better just stay with the CD option, as I am getting totally out of my depth here. I didn't know it at the time but it's obvious now that the DVD idea, just was not going to work for me. I have managed to get more MP3 on a CD than I did before and I have downloaded Audacity. I have not used it yet as at the moment I haven't got a Clue as to what to do with it, It's all new to me. Still as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users