Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Socket 478 repair or replace or ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsssmoore

rsssmoore

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hello to all, Looking for some guidance before attempting this...First a little background info on the problem at hand.

This began as a simple diagnose and fix. Customer stated she had dropped her computer during a move and now it would not turn on.

Specs:
DELL DIMENSION 4300 DESKTOP
P4 1.5 Ghz 256 Kb / 400 Mhz (SOCKET 478)
512 MB RAM
16 MB ATI 128 RAGE PRO AGP 2X/4X SLOT
300 GB MAXTOR HDD
ALL PCI SLOTS (4) FILLED WITH AUDIO MODEM ETC..
RUNNING WIN XP PRO SVC PACK 3

Visual inspection showed all PCI cards loose and AGP dislodged.
Retaining clip for card slots broken
Mismatched high density low density chips.
Ribbon cable loose to Motherboard from HD
CPU dislodged from socket stuck to the heatsink with bent and broken pins.
Socket(478) lever still in seated(down) position.
4 holes on the plastic socket guide looked to be burnt.
No pin remenants. Holes appeared to be clear and free of debris.

Cleaned entire case and fans. Checked power supply. Tested OK.
Reaseated all Cards. Reseated memory(removed high density stick) 512 stick remained.
Reconnected all components.
Installed compatible Celeron 2.0 400 Mhz CPU for testing.
BIOS / BOOT all good. Let run for 24 hrs. Memtest OK

Recommended Upgrades to memory, CPU, and Video.

Installed memory Tested OK...

BUT when I went to install the new P4 2.4 512 kb /400 Mhz CPU
the Celeron I had installed had 2 pins burnt or broken of in some of the same holes
that I noted originally looked burnt. Removed them but the plastic holes are now so distorted
I do not think the new CPU will seat correctly...???

I have alot of old boards so I popped of the plastic guide from one of the 478 sockets(no damage).

It looks like I should be able to swap them out.....Ive never done this before????

Can I? Should I? Research has left me with no definitive answers...LOOKING FOR SOME GUIDANCE...Thx to all... Regards Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hi

The problem isn't the plastic socket parts, it is whatever is getting so it that it is damaging the CPU pins.

A heated connection like that usually means that something is causing resistance which in turn creates heat from the current flowing.

What happens when you flip the lever is the movable plastic part presses the CPU pins against the metal contacts in the socket which is where I suspect the problem is.

If you can cure the cause of the resistance then you may be able to fix it.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rsssmoore

rsssmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Was your first computer a Commodore 16?

Okay....so to solve the resistance issue I must remove the plastic guide(damaged). In doing so it is a very trick move popping of the tabs without damaging the mobo side...any advice?

Pulled Intel socket drawings for ref...practiced on 2 old boards(some success) but I need to hit a homerun here or Im out of options...or is there a gadget fix if a tab or two breaks??

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Nope. Not a commodore although I did have a section for them on my BBS.

My advice on finding the heating cause is based on electronics training in the past. So good luck. You may find it can't be fixed. Not everything can. Although I understand the fact that once you have invested time into something you feel the need to finish it so that the time wasn't wasted.

You are into socket repairs, an area I never felt like trying. Only thing to watch out for that I can comment on is be sure what ever you use to pop off the tabs doesn't slip and gouge the traces on the motherboard.

Good Luck

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 rsssmoore

rsssmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for your input rotor123 It gave me the confidence to move forward with the socket. To all who might look at this thread in the future as I often do. Here are the results.

After practicing on to old motherboards with 478socket, one a desktop, the other a laptoop I found a way to remove the sliding levered tab without damaging the motherboard side socket.
From the backside of the socket there will be two hinges. Slide a very (customized) thin piece of metal under each one and slowly pry up while on the non levered side ease out the slider off the securing motherboard socket tabs. One thing to look for is that per the Intel mfg. specs outside mfg. have three options in the design of the piece eaxch react a bit different.

After the removal I discovered (as suspected and noted by rotor123) shorted and damaged pin receptors. Motherboard was replaced....all good. Thanks again rotor123

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Well, You gave it a good try.

To bad about the damage.

Glad to hear that it is working with the new Motherboard.

Thanks for letting everybody know the results.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users