Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1394 Firewire not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johng411

johng411

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi
I am running XP Prp SP3 ver.2002. Lately my 1394 port will not recognize my camcorder. I have been using a Sony DCR-HC52 Handycam for 2 years now on an internal 1394 port with no problems until now. I haven't used it for at least 6 months and when I did my computer did not see it. I reseated the cables on the mother bd. and external, rebooted cleaned connectors with no change. I just so happened to have a Via ohci compliant Pci card handy so I installed it, with no problems, unplugged the other from the Mb. but it still have the same problem.
I have searched Microsoft and they elude to a problem with sp2 and sp3 but I can't pin down a solution. I have searched Bleeping Computer with no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks John
:wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

To maybe avoid a fruitless faultfinding process, I suggest if possible first up try the camera on another computer, to eliminate the possibility the problem is with the camera. Unfortunately failure of the Firewire chip in cameras is not uncommon.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 johng411

johng411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

It took a while but I finally got the opportunity to plug camcorder and cable into another computer and both worked fine. The other computer is running Windows 7. I have not had the chance to do anything else.
Thanks

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

The camera being OK is good news, and presents the possibility of a short-term workaround in knowing that a transfer can be done on another computer.

With your own system, do either of the Firewire interfaces show correctly in Device Manager? When you tried the PCI card, did you turn the on-board Firewire port off in the BIOS? If not, a clash could prevent the card from working properly.

Another thing to try is go to Safe Mode, remove any IEEE 1394 devices and the 1394 Network adapter device(s), re-start and allow the drivers to be re-installed. If you want to try this with the PCI card fitted, disable the on-board in the BIOS first.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users