Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I get new USB keyboard to work before start-up?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eGeorgeH3

eGeorgeH3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Not sure there's any hope for this. may have to bring it to a PC shop:

1. Been getting DLL errors for some time at start-up. A nuisance. Just have to click through them for a long time but then the PC finally works. Couldn't find Windows XP install disk so just lived with it. Started copying files off in prep for replacing the PC.

2. Before I could finish, my daughter broke the USB receiver for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Now, when I start up and get the DLL error, I can't click through. KB doesn't work either. Of course, when I attach a USB mouse it doesn't work b/c the PC hasn't fully started up and can't detect it. Can't hit F8 to start up in Safe mode. I haven't tried a USB keyboard yet but assume the same problem with happen - the PC won't detect it.

Any advice or am I stuck bringing it in to a shop to just get the files off the hard drive?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2012 - 10:51 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

If the computer has PS/2 (the round plugs) ports on it you can use and old keyboard/mouse that you can typically find at any thrift store. However if the machine is a bit more modern and doesnt have those ports a wired USB keyboard should be automatically detected and configured by the BIOS and should allow you to use it. If for some reason it doesnt and you find yourself stuck you can pull the HDD from the computer, pop it into the enclosure, and access it via USB from another computer.

If the hard drive is a SATA drive... SATA Drive

If the had drive is and older IDE (with the 80 pin ribbon cable) IDE Drive

Hope that helps

#3 eGeorgeH3

eGeorgeH3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I think my dad has an old KB like you describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users