Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Machine for a New Year

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Knghtmare

Knghtmare

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Greetings,

I currently have an Alienware M15x laptop that has become more of a desktop replacement. I've no reason for a laptop anymore and have decided to build myself a new (up-to-date) desktop. I've been researching and crawling over forums looking at the best of the best for the money I have to spend. I think I have come up with a decent parts list and was hoping to get some opinions/critiques.

When: March 2012
Budget: $2,000.00 USD; I'd like to keep it under, if possible, without selling myself too short on performance.
Usage: Gaming, 3D Rendering, Design; see note below.
Not needed: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers
Sites: Any, prefer TigerDirect, Newegg, or Amazon
Preferences: I would prefer to stick to Intel CPUs and nVidia Graphics Cards, unless someone can convince me about Radeon.
Overclocking: Not necessary
Note: For applications I use Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection (emphasis on Photoshop and Illustrator), Daz3d Studio 4 Pro, Poser, 3ds Max 2012 primarily; and from a games standpoint I play World of Warcraft and Rift mostly with a few others thrown in here and there. I have a SyncMaster PX2370 running at 1920x1080 resolution and a Wacom Cintiq 12WX drawing tablet. I am not a professional 3D Artist or "professional" gamer, I am a hobbyist at best so I do not need "super-powered" just something that will run smooth and clear.

As for the build I am looking at so far:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M
I am not set on this case and am open to alternatives.
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
I went down from the 850w 80+Gold to this reviews were good but am I losing a lot by doing this?
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
A few extra SATA 6gb/s headers weren't worth the price difference, considering I won't be using them.
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
Memory: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB
Video Card: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580
I went ahead with the EVGA version since popular verdict supports EVGA as a better product. I'd really like some more convincing before I go from nVidia to the Radeon 7950.
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB
Reviews are good on this, I like Corsair so I will try it out given all the bad things I hear about OCZ.
HDD: Western Digital WD15EARS 1.5GB Hard Drive
Optical: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Internal 12x Blu-Ray Burner

Some I have spoke to have suggested the going X79, but honestly, I'm just not sure that I need to be al that future proof given what I do. As it stands, I upgrade my machines once every 2 years anyway so I don't feel that sticking with Z68 vs. X79 for now is that big of an issue. You're input is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

I will just nitpick, seems a solid build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 cpu cooler.

SSD seems a bit small. If I had the bux, a 256gig would be nice (I think I saw Crucial M4s for $309 on ben's bargains a few days ago. 128 is minimum size I would consider for a machine with prices where they are. Be a bit careful of SSDs that use Sandforce controllers. Look aroundfor reviews to see if they have compatability problems or require firmware flashes. To be fair I know thatalmost all of the M4s require flashes to the latest and greatest to correct some problems.

FOr your use, I would stick to NVidia if my editing programs used CUDA acceleration. It will be quicker.

I certainly wouldn't kick your build as is off my desk.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Knghtmare

Knghtmare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

I did consider an aftermarket CPU Cooler, but, given that I had not planned on doing any overclocking I thought at it would be an unnecessary expense (albeit a small one). As-is I would think that the stock fan that comes with the 2600k would work.

Though, you are right, given that I have the money to spend it certainly wouldn't hurt. I just don't like spending where I don't have to.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Well, if you aren't going to overclock, stock cooling will suffice, but those 2600ks are just scary fast when they get around the 4.5ghz mark. No reason not to take advantage of what you are given, but that's me.

" I just don't like spending where I don't have to." My mantra as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Brand favoritism is pointless, look at performance numbers combined with the use case. The Radeon 7950 is a good card and performs at about the GTX 580 level, plus or minus given the game and driver. It also uses less power, aside from that, there really are no differences. Now, the Radeon 7970 is absolutely more powerful than the GTX 580 with lower power draw, so it is more of a compelling product at these price levels. Keep in mind that the 7000 series is new and future driver releases will squeeze a little more performance out of them. You can also scale back the CPU to the 2500K as there isn't really much hardware wise between the 2500k and the 2600k. Unless you're overclocking, the "K" processors are also not needed for a gamer.

3939.png

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm in agreement with go for a larger SSD. Search the internet for SSD & Overprovisioning and why it could be a good thing.

Be sure to set the controllers to AHCI

If never going to overclock why pay extra for the 2600k, just get the I7 2600 it performs really nice on video rendering.

I used the stock retail box cooler on the I7 2600 I did that gets used every day where it gets warm in the summertime and it never overheated nor did the fan get too loud.

Make sure the memory is compatible with the motherboard. ASUS can be picky about memory.

BluRay burner is always a good choice for backing up files. That will save shelf space as I consider on BluRay blank to equal 5 DVD blanks. Use a good quality blank. I prefer Verbatim HTL media. Not sure about long term reliability of LTH media.

And of course read users reviews on the hardware.

Edited by rotor123, 21 February 2012 - 06:08 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

If you plan to use multiple graphics card in the future then you would want to get a full-atx case.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Knghtmare

Knghtmare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Based on the suggestions and further research, I think I have found a build that works best for my purposes. Given I won't be overclocking the machine, I do not think that I need the K processor as mentioned. Further, crawling around over forum posts and reviews it doesn't look like I need the 2600 either, the 2500 is just as powerful for what I am doing. Here is the parts list:

Case -- Cooler Master HAF 922M
PSU -- Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
MoBo -- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU -- Intel Core i5-2500
memory -- Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB
Video Card -- Sapphire 11196-00-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB
SSD -- Crucial CT128M4SSD2 M4 - 128GB
HDD -- Seagate ST1500DL003 Barracuda - 1.5TB
Optical -- Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Internal 12x Blu-Ray Burner

I went ahead and made the move from the nVidia to the Radeon. All comparisons I have read have pointed to the Radeon as a superior card, with that said there is a $110 price difference between the 7950 and the 7970 and I don't see that I gain anything worth the jump in price. Am I missing something?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I believe the performance gulf between the 7950 and the 7970 is about 20% and you theoretically overclock the 7950 to near 7970 levels.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users