Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very High Temperature Readings

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hi -
My XP SP3 desktop has been showing these high readings for quite a while now -
I have even directed a small external fan at the openings without any change.

There are no "operating problems" like slow down or errors, so I was wondering if they may be false readings ??
I have cleaned the inside of the case (twice), and done all normal software checks (chkdsk /r, malware scans, etc.) with no errors.
These are after only 30 seconds after start up, and all the temps stay at the same levels after an hour. :flame:
[attachment=119445:Comp Temps.JPG]
[attachment=119446:Temps after start.JPG]

Any ideas would be a great help :idea: Thanks -

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Morning noknojon,

This issue is somewhat out of my league, but I figured I'd just mention a possible suggestion anyway. Would there be any value in running a different program to check the temperatures to see if you get the same readings?

Just a thought. (Forgive me if it's something you've already thought of).

Edited by spc3rd, 21 February 2012 - 07:02 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#3 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

Graphics - Temperature 65 °C

Just a quick reading from Speccy -

Quick EDIT -
It may be morning there, but midnight here, I need a quick sleep -
Will be back later :mellow:

Edited by noknojon, 21 February 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi N,

Graphics chip certainly seems to be running hot and needs a better way to cool it.

Maybe you can improve case airflow by adding additional fans or redirectly airflow flow toward the graphics chip: http://www.technibble.com/case-cooling-the-physics-of-good-airflow/ and http://www.xoxide.com/computer-cooling.html.

Can we assume you have an add-on graphics card? If yes, I don't know the feasibility of checking the thermal compound on the graphics chip and/or replacing/upgrading the heat sink or fan. http://www.xoxide.com/vgacoolers.html and http://www.xpcgear.com/antecvcool.html.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Graphics
VA905 256MB GeForce 8500 GT (XFX Pine Group) 60 C

Hi Artrooks -
The above is taken from Speccy as soon as I could get a "cold" reading this morning, and it stays at 60 - 65C all day. (63C now). A 60C reading is the lowest I can ever get at startup and it has never recorded much over 65C after several hours of use. I now direct a small external fan on the intake areas but the readings are always similar. Mid Summer here and 30C room temp at times.

I am not 100% sure of the history of this computer as I took ownership from a client, after I installed a new "all in one" Windows7 computer. They just wanted to update, and not due to any operating problems.
I think there is a smaller graphics card in my old XP unit that I may need to fit in this unit and just compare readings, but this runs very good.This unit has always seemed to run OK, but I am not sure if these are true readings even though they are from Speccy and SpeedFan.

The AUX reading (120C) shows that I should have a fire inside the computer, and the Graphics card (65C) should have melted by now.
As these are constant readings over a few months (uninstalled SpeedFan and reinstalled), I am thinking there may be other causes ??

I will post a full Speccy shot later.

Thanks -

#6 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MfMpsdho6ww8rtYlzjYr3og
This is a current Speccy shot -

EXTRA - The shot was taken after about 1 hour run time -

Edited by noknojon, 21 February 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

The AUX reading (120C) shows that I should have a fire inside the computer

I see what you mean. I don't know what "Aux" is referring to but surely it's not accurate. On the other hand, both Speccy and Speedfan have the GPU as running 60 degs/C and up.

You could always get a 3rd / 4th opinion: HWMonitor or GPU-Z.

Maybe the graphics chip can tolerate that heat. But then, maybe it's only a matter of time.

Not sure if something like this would be helpful in investigating the bios settings: NVIDIA BIOS Editor (NiBiTor) 6.04.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

You could either pull out the Motherboard disc or go to the ASUS http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en website and download their ASUS Probe.

ASUS PC Probe II V1.04.72 for Windows XP/XP 64bit/Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P5B&hashedid=YwIVDOTcvIMHZdTy

I would expect the ASUS software to be the most accurate

Edited by rotor123, 22 February 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thanks all for your interest -
I am loading those items today, and I will post any other results -

Regards -

#10 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Hi -
All the other links still seem to show my graphics at around the 60C mark.
So it seems there is a problem with air flow or incorrect fitting.

Looks like I will pull it apart over the next few days, and find if there is a vent / seal or seating problem.

Thanks for all the links -

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

... show my graphics at around the 60C mark.

Don't start pulling the thing apart ...

Do you know the recommended maximum allowable temperature for the device?

What makes you think that the temperature is too high? I would think that was a very normal temperature for a graphics card. I would expect temps in the 60 - 90°C range, as seems to be the case in this article too:

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/8500gt_msi_foxconn/index2.htm

Edit: If the card ever does get "too" hot, you will know about it! >>> BSOD!!!

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 February 2012 - 06:48 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

... show my graphics at around the 60C mark.

Don't start pulling the thing apart ...

Hi -
I was more (as much) concerned about that ?? AUX reading showing 120C, and a bit higher at times.
Just to be sure I only undid the side of the case, and checked all connections.

Do you know what that reading refers to ?? In the later versions (on my Win7) it is not there -

Thanks -

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Quick question when was the last time you cleaned the dust bunnies out of your case. specifically taking canned air and blowing at/around your GPU?

AUX could be anything, and there is no real way to know what it is.

Posted Image

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

That's about it: By further investigation of your mobo details and what sensors are supplied, you may by trial and error learn more (if you were really keen!).

Here's a screenshot I just took of one of my old desktop PCs, which shows most of the sensors without meaningful labels, and includes one that like yours displays a temp that hovers around 125C +/- a degree or two. It doesn't concern me in the slightest. The only temperature I am interested in is the top one, which by trial and error I know to be reflecting the CPU temperature.

Posted Image

My advice to you is to not worry over it, and certainly don't start pulling things apart looking for a problem that doesn't exist!!!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hi BS -
I am still checking back to SpeedFan site about this, and if it means anything specific -
I do this (cleaning) on a regular basis, and it was also done on this weekend just to be sure.

The last time, prior to this day, would have been about 1 or 2 months at the most, and always with a brush and dust can.
All fans (3) were working and all dust filters were very clean, so it only required a very quick brush only, and a recheck of leads etc.
I also bench tested it with the side off, just to be sure all the fans did actually work, and to see if there were any "hot spots" that I could identify.
The base of the heatsink fan was also reinsulated with the correct material, and correctly reseated.
All readings are still the same, or near enough, to those posted above in the screen shots -

Since I was given this unit (about 12 months ago) it has been serviced and cleaned on a regular basis.
I know this, as my wife had said "Are you cleaning that computer again" - (Hope she is not watching or reading this :wink: )

Thanks for your ideas -

Edited by noknojon, 27 February 2012 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users