Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot without keyboard or mouse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamxx

adamxx

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

I have two computers, one which I use (a WIN 7 machine) and the other, an XP machine, which I set up on home network but I turn this off becasue I rarely have to use this and it generates too much heat. I only have one monitor, keyboard and mouse. When I have to use the XP machine, I have to unplug my monitor, mouse and key board from my computer and connect to the XP machine to start it. Is there anyway I can boot it and start windows XP on that machine without connecting keyboard or mouse (or monitor), so that I can simply turn it on and it can appear in my network?

Thanks

Arun

Edited by adamxx, 20 February 2012 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

unplug the keyboard after bootup should do the trick, or you could invest in something like this or perhaps another cheap keyboard.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

yes the computer will boot without the mouse and monitor. You may have to enter BIOS to change settings so it will continue to boot with no keyboard.
You will have to plug in the monitor to see what is going on. Once you have it booting without the mouse and keyboard, then unhook the monitor.

You can use software like VNC to log in remotely (i think you can use windows remote desktop connection also). I only mention VNC because i have used it before many moons ago. There may be better ways today.

http://www.realvnc.com/

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

I use the KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse) similar to the one the_patriot11 referenced. They work really well. I have one KVM switch (4 port) that I can control 4 computers with one mouse, keyboard, and monitor. To switch from one computer to another, I push a number key (i.e. 1 - corresponding to computer 1 of 4) and then hit the "scroll" button twice, rapidly. I don't think I could live without it.
KVM Switches

Regards,
Brooks

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users