Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing MOBO or SSD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BAD311

BAD311

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hello everyone,

My gaming machine is suffering from random restarting, first only noticed when loading up a video game. Once it'd load the game it would instantly restart, every time it would restart. I swapped out the PSU for another make/model, ran a PSU tester unit on both PSU's, both checked out fine. Removed the video cards and tossed in two perfectly working misc video cards. Load a game up, same issue, restart. Usually I'd point to the video cards, but then I noticed if I wasn't playing a game at random times it would reboot, regardless of what type of video card was installed. I disconnected all hardware but a video card and the SSD, only for it to still restart randomly. Then I noticed sometimes @ launch it would throw boot.ini issues saying it couldn't find a bootable OS, also at random. A power off/power on fixed that problem, but it still occurs randomly.

I'm pointing my finger at a failing mobo or a failing SSD, or perhaps a mobo that isn't getting along with the SSD. I'm not sure how to check the SSD's current firmware version, but I know there is a newer version available. When I first installed it I tried to update the firmware but for whatever reason it wouldn't update connected to another PC via USB or SATA in a non-primary state.

Here are my full specs, minus the 2 x Geforce cards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to rule out it being the SSD before the mobo. I'd hate to have to pull the mobo, CPU cooler, etc... waiting on a replacement for a week or two :(

1x Intel i5 2500K Quad-Core 3.3Ghz Processor (currently not OC'ed)
1x Elitegroup Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 Motherboard
1x Cougar SX 850 (850w) Power Supply
2x EVGA Geforce GTX460 SE Video Card (OC'ed 815Hz, SLI'ed)
2x Corsair Vengence 8GB Memory 1600Mhz (16GB total memory, OC'ed 1850Mhz)
1x Corsair H100 CPU Heatsink & Radiator
1x Asus CD/DVD Player & Burner
1x Ricoh 58-in-1 2.5" Media Card Reader
3x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" (6GB total HDD space)
1x OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" 120GB SSD
1x Corsair SE 600T White Graphite Series Mid-Tower Case
4x Rosewill 120mm Case Fans w/ white LED's
1x Corsair HS1 USB Gaming Headset
1x Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard
1x Logitech Wireless G700 Gaming Mouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

unplug your SSD and boot something that will give your system a work out.
Like Memtest or burn in software. Some of these can be found on Ultimate Boot CD.

Manufacturer of SSD should have diagnostic software at their site to test drive.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi, I do not suspect a failing SSD as much as older Firmware on the OCZ.

With the OCZ SSD you need to have latest firmware for stability.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/support
Firmware http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Vertex_3_Max_IOPS,_Agility_3,_Solid_3,_RevoDrive_3,_RevoDrive_3_X2_and_Synapse_/

This drive needs the latest Firmware Version 2.15 to be stable.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/files/ssd_tools/OCZ_Toolbox_Firmware_Update_Guide_8_12_2011_Windows_consumer_4.pdf

6) 6) Flashing your SSD should not result in data loss. However, OCZ recommends that you back up your data as a precaution before proceeding.
7) An internet connection is required for firmware update.

There are some other things to do as far as certain driver hardware combinations to avoid etc. Details on the OCZ forums

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 February 2012 - 12:37 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Leviathan75

Leviathan75

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm also having a headache with my SSD. I'm running an Agility 3 SSD from OCZ. I regret my purchase, It is unstable and yes out of the little plastic sleeve they give you that has your ssd drive in it and it says DO NOT BEND. They Put the warning on the little booklet to not bend it, but you can easily bend and flex it when it's in that little cheap sleeve, also to keep it out of sunlight, but it's in a clear cheap little sleeve? OCZ has issues. Now to my experience with this.
It seem's it doesn't want to boot at all unless you have some other drive to boot along with it, Re-enable your optical drive, trust me it worked for me. Then sometimes even then it won't. When it say's its not finding the bootmgr file or a boot.ini go into BIOS and You'll notice your SSD isn't detected at all, you have to hard shutdown to fix this issue.
It's not your mobo, it's the SSD. You can follow my thread if you'd like too, if your going to use an internal drive for storage you're most likely going to be having the problems I'm having.

#5 BAD311

BAD311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Leviathan75, thanks for the heads up man! I think it is the SSD. Reason being? I built the SAME EXACT computer for my wife, same mobo, ram, PSU, CPU, GPU, etc... the only difference? She got two 1TB raided HDD's and I installed a SSD and 3 2TB HDD's... I'm going to pull the SSD again and try to update the firmware. I'll report back.

And on needing to do a hard reboot to get the boot.ini boot manager issue to go away - you're spot on.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Having to pull the power to detect the drive seems to be a common theme with some of the OCZ SSDs with the older firmware.

They claim that the latest firmware fixes all.

You will also notice both of your OCZ drives are in the firmware link I posted.

I'm so glad I went Intel SSD even though they may be a bit slower. One firmware upgrade later and TBH no problems before either they just keep working. Two in laptops and two in Desktops. Knock wood, Not that I'm superstitious of course. No problems.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 22 February 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 stragis

stragis

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

I just had my OCZ vertex fail.no warning, just all of a sudden mobo cant see it anymore, nor can the SATA->usb bridge in another system. I started with an OCZ agility it failed after less than a year. This vertex on RMA lasted almost a year. Gotta love 3 year warranty.
Stragis

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well 3 year warranty is good however.

How about the loss of the system unless you have a spare boot drive waiting for the replacement?
Loss of any non backed up data?
Time spent restoring or reloading the replacement drive?

In summary, Warranty is nice but better not to need it.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users