Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Kubuntu 11.10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 capt zero

capt zero

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

After having been fed up with the ongoing virus problems associated with Windows browsing, I decided to give Linux a try. I loaded Kunbuntu 11.10 and generally like the look and feel of the enviornment, however it does have a couple of "bugs" I have had difficulty in dealing with. Namely the shutdown/restart features just back me out of linux but require me to manually shut down with a hard reboot with my On/Off button. There is supposed to be fix for this in the updates section, but therein arises my second difficulty; when I try to load and install the updates, they seem to download properly. However, when they try to install, the system locks up at 49% and wont go futher. There is no button to cancel, the "x" button in the upper right corner doesn't function at this point. The only way I can exit is through a hard reboot, but when I return the whole interface is frozen up. I've reinstalled many times (my boot up menu is really cluttered now), but still with the same problems.
The platform I work on is a frankenputer put together with bits and pieces of three older computers. The chip is a AMD semipron 3300+ with two HDs, a 240 GB and a 40GB. running with 1 GB of memory. I have formatted the drive and run disk cleaners and chkdsk, and everything checks out. I have only tried to load Kubuntu onto the 40GB drive. Would it be better to partition off the larger drive and run it next to Windows? Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Try opening a terminal and running

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

What is the output?

#3 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Future Pilot,

Thanks for the tip. It did get my update manager functioning properly, but I still hang up on restart/shut down. That is a minor inconvience though. Concerning posting my outputs, I managed to save the output to the update sudo, but can't figure out how to export it here. Had some trouble saving the output from the upgrade sudo, though. Kept getting a message that the format was wrong.
Anyway, I'm brand new to the Linux enviornment. Guess I should expect some hiccups along the way.
Once again, thanks very much for your help. It got me thinking in the right direction though. I didn't realise what a powerful tool the terminal window can be when working with open source code. I will probably spend the next couple of days learning a little about it. Do you know of any good tutorials about it?

Thanks,
Capt_zero

P.S. What kind of pilot were you thinking about? Ran river boats myself back when.

#4 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

OK, if that got it working then don't worry about the outputs :) (Basically "apt-get" is the command-line version of the software manager, so all it did was install updates.)

Sadly I don't know off-hand of any good Linux tutorials...I'm sure just googling around a bit will find you some! :) I personally learned everything I know about Linux from installing Arch Linux. (It's a very bare-bones, build-it-yourself distribution...honestly if you have the time and the frustration level to deal with it I would say that's one of the best ways to REALLY learn Linux...but once again you have to come at it from a learning standpoint and expect to get frustrated at points or it'll turn you off of Linux REAL quick! lol ;) )

Also I don't know how set you are about using Kubuntu as your distro of choice. If so that's great; it's an excellent first-time distribution! But if you'd at all be willing to look into it, I think Linux Mint is the best beginners/everyday user's distro. It's based off of Ubuntu, but (IMO) has done alot of things much better! :) (They also have a KDE version if you don't like Gnome...although their new window manager, "Cinnamon", for Gnome is VERY nice! :) ) Linux Mint is definitely my favorite distro! :)

If you have any more questions or want clarifications on anything or whatever, just let me know! I'm more than happy to help! :) Also welcome to the world of Linux...there may be some hiccups along the way, but in the end you'll be glad you joined! ;)

P.S. I hope to be an airplane pilot someday...not airliners or anything, just single engine, or maybe small twin-engines :)

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

capt good tutorial on the linux command line as you requested
http://linuxcommand.org/
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Future Pilot,

Thanks for your help. So far the Kubuntu enviornment is wonderful and much quicker than Windows. I'll stay here for a while and get my feet wet before I move on and find a pakage made for me and my needs. One of the many things I've noticed and liked about the Linux enviornment is REAL choice (The closet anarchist in me loves the open architecture also). If I find the fix for the Shutdown hang-up, I'll post it here. Thanks again and good luck with the one lungers.

capt_zero

#7 capt zero

capt zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Rborktjo,

Thanks for the link. It looks like it will keep me off the streets for a long time:)

capt_zero

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

capt i can give you a work around to either shutdown or reboot the system instantly
okay open terminal and type the following-note the space between all words
sudo shutdown now ( or sudo halt now)
it will ask for you password enter and you system will shutdown
to do a reboot type in the terminal
sudo reboot now

okay now see my next response
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#9 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

the terminal remembers up to 1000 commands you enter
so you dont have to keep typing them in of course unless you want to
so after you have tried the shut down and reboot commands
open a terminal then use your keyboard up and down arrow keys to again highlite the command you want to run
of course you will again have to enter you password to run those two
have fun
you really never have to use any command lines in linux but it is fun

also try this
if you have vlc or firefox install open terminal and type this
firefox & exit
vlc & exit

note on the above two and they are just examples you dont have to enter your password to run because the commands dont start with the word sudo

Edited by rburkartjo, 21 February 2012 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users