Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Threats of Over-Cooling?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SteelScales

SteelScales

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hello all.

I was just curious, as I am looking for a new CPU cooler, are there negative effects to OVER cooling your CPU? I have a AMD Phenom II Quad Core at 3.6 GHZ, and was just wanting to upgrade my Cpu cooler from the stock one. If my CPU get to cool can it effect performance in any way?

PS. and i do intend to overclock it in the near future.

Edited by SteelScales, 20 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

theres some debate on that depending on who you ask, I tend to think that most CPUs have an effective temperature that they perform the best in. With that being said, overcooling definitly wont hurt the CPU-I had a friend with a CPU on a liquid cooled system that run in the negative degree temperature, and he liked it. And if your planning on overclocking, the better cooling you have the better-because even if its "to cool" at stock, that temp will rise once overclocked.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 SteelScales

SteelScales
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yeah I figure i get the cooling first before I start overclocking, didnt want to damage my baby haha. But thanks for the input, I figured they had that kinda "Happy Zone" where you got the best performance.

Thanks again man.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

I have been following the pro overclocking competitions for some time now and I get total nerd chills watching a couple of guys tweak voltages while pouring liquid nitrogen into a metal pot attached to the CPU.

I don't know how extreme you are planning on getting but the hazards that seem to be most prevalent with super cooling are ...

Condensation: make sure that your cooling apparatus is not sweating and potentially dripping water on to your computer's components.

Thermal stress: Don't let the temperature swing too wildly. If your board temps are swinging back and forth 30 degrees C over and over while running, you can damage tiny connections.

Voltages: Make sure to watch your voltages carefully once you start getting to the extreme edge of your system's overclocking capabilities.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users