Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop becomes unusable after boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jwhitf4770

jwhitf4770

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

After I logon to my Windows 7 machine, the computer seems to freeze. Every once in ahwile I'll be able to do a little but it is painfully slow(3-5 mintues for one action). Everything runs normally in safe mode.

Originally I thought my virus software of kaspersky 2012 was causing problems at startup, so unwisely I removed it. I can't get the machine to run long enough to get it reinstalled.

The computer will start and run in safe mode. I have downloaded combofix. It runs and creates the log. It runs at an acceptable speed in normal mode after the combofix reboot where it is creating the log. However I can't launch any program because it says that a registry is marked for deletion. When I restart it goes back the computer being unusable.

Sometimes I can get task manager up and sometimes is gives an error that that it is unable to launch. I can't even launch my computer or google chrome.

Any help would be appreciated. I am fairly comfortable working on computer as I have .NET programming background.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwhitf4770

jwhitf4770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have also disabled all the startup items in msconfig.

#3 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Do you have another computer you can plug the laptop HD in as a slave to scan it?

#4 jwhitf4770

jwhitf4770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I don't. Can I do it in safe mode?

#5 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

You can try booting into safe mode with networking and getting a free antivirus installed, try avast! and do a boot time scan if you think it is a virus. You can also try Superantispyware or Malwarebytes to check for malware. I am not very proficient with Combofix sorry.

Good luck.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Because you have combofix log files that may shed light on your infection, it would be best to post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum. They will get you straightened out.

Just follow the instructions in the "Preparation guide for use..." link.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 jwhitf4770

jwhitf4770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I found the issue finally this morning by going through the event logs. There were two dll's that were compromised in the System32 folder. I replaced them from another machine and the computer is running great. Again thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users