Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop to 2 external monitors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wally45

wally45

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I am getting a laptop from work in order to work from home more. I have a desktop at home with a dual screen setup. I would like to figure out how to use my laptop on those dual screens.

It seems like a KVM switch is the answer, but I am not sure. I'd like to be able to switch the monitors from my desktop to my laptop without having to unscrew things time and time again.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi

You will need to wait until you get the laptop and see what kind of external monitor ports it has.

I've seen VGA, DVI, or HDMI, usually only one of them per laptop.

Most laptops drive one screen.

A KVM switch would let you use the laptop with your desktop monitor and Keyboard and mouse If, Big If.

The Keyboard & Mouse are USB. The External port on the laptop matches what your desktop uses.

Another thing to think about. Eventually plugging and unplugging a USB will wear out the port on the Laptop. How durable the port is depends on the maker. Eventually the VGA ports can start having problems from wear for the same reason.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users