Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working - root hub error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill@WT

Bill@WT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hello-

I am posting to this forum after removal of a rootkit infection.
See this topic for more info:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441678.html

I am running Windows XP, SP3 on a Dell Latitude 610 laptop.
I connect to a local network at the office, and use the laptop when I travel or work remote.

At some point during my initial attempt to remove the virus, the USB ports on my PC stopped working.
I believe the hardware still works, because at one point during my attempt to remove the virus, I used GetxPud to boot the PC from the CD drive in Linux, and was then able to access files on a USB flash drive.

I think I may have messed up something in the registry somewhere...

Please let me know what to do next.

Thanks,
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

You might try (as a first step) MS Fixit .

Louis

#3 Bill@WT

Bill@WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Louis-

I ran MS FixIt, and there is no change.

I even went back into Device Manager, uninstalled the USB controllers, and then did a "scan for hardware changes".
The search finds and installs the USB controllers, and then gives a message:
"A problem occurred during hardware installation, your device may not work properly"

When I look in the device manager, in the USB controllers section, there are entries for (5) USB Universal Host Controllers, and (5) USB Root Hub controllers. Each of the Root Hub controllers has a yellow circle with an exclamation point icon next to it. When I look at the USB Root Hub controller properties, the device status reads:
"windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

What next???

Thanks,
Bill

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

OK, next thing to try.

From here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Code 39
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:

A required device driver is missing.
A required binary file is corrupted.
There is a problem with the file I/O process.
A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Which is why I suggest the following
Get your XP Disc handy

with windows running press the "Windows Key + R Key"
or alternatively click start and select the run command

Then in the run command box type
SFC /Scannow

That will run the System File Checker and look for missing, changed or corrupt files. If it finds any it will ask you for you Windows XP disc so it can replace them.

Hopefully after that and a reboot the USB ports will work. This presumes that the virus had damaged or replaced the driver files which are provided by windows and were then cleaned out by the virus removal. If so then I would expect the USB ports to work.

Good Luck (Crossed Fingers)
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 February 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bill@WT

Bill@WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Roger-

OK, I ran SFC /scannow
It did not prompt me for the windows XP disc.
When it completed, I re-started the computer.
During boot-up, a screen popped up similar to the checkdisk screen, but nothing showed as running.
Then it went back to the normal windows start-up routine.
During the start-up, I received an error message:
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close...
I will post screen shots of the error in a new reply.

Thanks,
Bill

#6 Bill@WT

Bill@WT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Sorry, couldn't attach .jpg files...
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hi

It is a Lattitude D610 I'm guessing?

Just so you know, It may not prompt for the XP CD if for example you have the I386 folder on the c: drive. Then it can get the files from there.

As a quick test what shows if you plug in a USB Flash stick, turn on the computer and when the Dell logo appears start pressing F12 for the boot device menu? Does it show The flash stick as a bootable option in the boot device menu? Has to be a flash stick or external Optical drive since it knows mice and keyboards aren't bootable and won't offer for them. If it shows the flash drive there as available then it is a software problem.

Have you gone into the Bios (CMOS) setup by pressing F2 when the Dell logo appears, also an option on the F12 bootable device menu. Make sure that somehow the USB ports are not disabled in there.

The only other thing I can think of is take a look for physical damage to the USB ports. I have seen it, I had a Sager laptop that had a couple of the USB ports that were damaged when I bought it used. I have also seen damaged USB ports on Dell Desktops so it can happen. In that case I made sure the pins were not shorting and used Hot melt glue to fill them so they didn't get used.

If it doesn't see the USB device in the bootable device menu then, One other thought if within your budget is to try a card slot USB card such as one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=pcmcia+usb&x=0&y=0
or this one for $15 + $2.99 S & H. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839328001
if it works then it is a hardware problem. If it doesn't work then definitely a software problem.

At this point I'm thinking 50/50 hardware/software problem.

Edited by rotor123, 22 February 2012 - 11:00 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users