Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Check and Stupid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Enmity9

Enmity9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Ok got the system check virus, but think I got rid of it. Norton says that I don't have it, but it also never noticed that it was there in the first place. However, now that I have read all the stuff about getting my computer back to how it was, I am in a twist. First off I have the desktop back to normal, my startmenu is jacked, meaning that all the files say empty. I tried the "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\SMTMP” and found files 1 and 4 but they didn't do anything and som of them were empty. I don't have any restore points left for some reason. All my files are still around, but not sure where. So any advice would be great. I am running windows7. I used to have programs like google chrome and ie 64 but those are no where to be found. I just want to go back to how it was. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2012 - 10:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Lets try this

Download recuva

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/

Install it and when you get the recuva screen

Click Cancel on the wizard.
Click on Options... >> Actions Tab. Check "Restore folder structure."

Now click on SCAN

When complete, use the filter box in the upper right corner and type

smtmp

Select all the LNK(icon) files and recover them to a folder.Browse through the folder.

You should find the SMTMP/1 and SMTMP/4 folder .You can copy the programs to appropriate place

if smtmp doesnt yield any results type

*.lnk in the search option

Good luck

#3 JerrellT

JerrellT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Back ups come in handy for things like this, if you don't have a restore point I can't offer much advice on getting back personal user files, unless they're saved somewhere else say on an email account. For future reference, I'd purchase an external storage media device and backup every so often. (But pertaining to your ACTUAL problem...I think you might have to simply re-install all your programs...provided you're COMPLETELY sure the virus is gone, as we wouldn't want it creeping up again deleting newly installed applications.)

#4 Enmity9

Enmity9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Ok let me refrain, I do have backups to all my files on an external. I don't have a restore point. Now for the "stupid" part how do I copy files to the folders already on the start menu that are saying empty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users