Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Young Toshiba HD with Sector Damage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have on my desk a Toshiba Satellite P750 Corei7 with 8GB RAM, running Win7 home premium, which ran well for 9 months and then suddenly blue screened. The computer was configured for home business book-keeping software and was not configured to connect to the internet. When the second home computer (which does connect to the Internet) crashed, this one was connected to the home router, and within a short time it also crashed with a BSOD. The BSOD details were not retained.

When I received the computer, I started with the Win7 repair menu and attempted a system restore. It failed with an error message like:

System restore failed to extract the file … from the restore point. There was a disk failure during the restore. This might be caused by bad sectors on the disk.

I tried six more restore points, progressing further backwards in time. The oldest was December 31 2011. They all failed with a similar message, but with a different file name each time.

I tried to run chkdsk (which is difficult on a win7 box that won’t start in any mode) but when eventually I scheduled it to run on startup, I got a message like:

Chkdsk was unable to run because of a recently installed software package.

I then booted to a USB stick with Parted Magic on it and ran the Gsmartcontrol self-tests, short and long. Both came back with the message:

Completed with read failure

I saved the error log. Most of it is quite incomprehensible to me, but one line was quite interesting:

Error 12985 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 379 hours (15 days + 19 hours)

Does this mean 12985 errors have occurred? And has the drive really been spinning for only 379 hours?

If I post the whole log, is there someone here who can tell me whether the drive is a dud, and needs returning under the warranty, or whether there is some way of salvaging it without doing a factory reset.

Also I am curious as to whether there are there viruses/worms etc out there which can infect a computer within minutes of connecting to the internet, make it blue screen and cause sector damage on a hard drive; or is there something in Win7 which randomly scrambles the sectors on a hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

Get the drive replaced while it's still under warranty. It will never be a reliable drive.

Sector maintenance is handled by the drive's own internal maintenance algorithms, Windows doesn't get involved.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Many thanks for that reply - just what I was looking for.

I'll print the Gsmartcontrol log and take it back to the shop.

Thanks again

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

The drive needs to be replaced as was said above. they never get better, they only get worse.

Make sure you go to a authorized Toshiba service center. This repair should be free. you will need to backup anything you do not want to lose. They will put a new drive and send back your old drive to Toshiba.

Hopefully you made the System Recovery DVDs. They may want to charge you extra to put Windows back on the drive as normal Toshiba warranty does not cover software. Or you may have to order the recovery disc set.

I would be tempted to send it back to Toshiba and hope they restore the drive to like new.

The above is based on USA practices with regards to Warranty repairs.

Also in the USA at least Toshiba has been keeping many of the newer models where they have to be sent in instead of local Toshiba ASPs being able to repair them under warranty.

Bottom line be sure the repair is free.

Best Regards
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users