Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a combo fix .exe issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grimzella

grimzella

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hello everyone,

My first (well second counting my introduction) post. I seem to have this issue that happens right after running Combofix. Now this does not happen everytime i use it but, at times.. right after combofix detects and removes infections.. it will reboot the machine.. well the reboot is just fine.. windows boots with no issues. I do find that now, i can no longer "RE-RUN" combofix to doublecheck for remaining viruses. For that matter, i can no longer run ANY .exe .com or any executable program, like, photoshop. IE.. paintshop ect. Nothing will open. Now i checked online. I found the usual.. run chkdsk /r.. try a "repair" .. try system restore and so on. none of these solutions worked. I know my experience, and i know how to "fix" this problem, write 0's to the hard drive.. Fdisk, Format.. Reload. This is the easy way out :) .. easy fast done! i know this. BUT! has anyone been able to "fix" this issue? am i missing something? I will accept a RELOAD as the ultimate answer (as i said.. i am 41.. windows for workgroups was my first GUI experience) i also ran DOS 6.0 based systems. I know sometimes.. you have no choice but to Reload.

thanks for any help one would like to contribute,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Please see this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

In particular:

Sorry but discussions pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 grimzella

grimzella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

Please see this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

In particular:

Sorry but discussions pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions.

thanks... at least i know now. sry just like everything else out there. :) im on my own. thanks for nothing tho.. freeware is what it is ... BTW.. i fixed the problem (reg settings). im not shocked tho.. that i got no support from a freeware program that is .. well you said it :) your on your own.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

It is not that there is no support for ComboFix. The developer spends countless (unpaid) hours constantly updating ComboFix to deal with new variants of malware and fix the rare bug in the software.

However, support is only available to graduates of UNITE. The reason for this, as already stated, is "in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users