Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer boots into 4:3 with wrong resolution from bios.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frootqloop

frootqloop

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

My laptop was running ubuntu, and one day it decided to change the screen orientation to 4:3 instead of 16:9, and drop the resolution to 1024 x 768. It is also shifted to the left side of the dislplay as opposed to being centered. there is a 4 inch black spot on the right hand side. Also this is not simply in ubuntu, (which in an attempt to fix the issue, I've completely formatted) it starts on the boot. from the bios. I am currently running a live boot from a jump drive just to surf the web, and I have a copy of windows 7 i want to put on it. But only if i am able to get this fixed.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Have you gone into the BIOS setup and looked for an option to choose between 4:3 and 16:9 modes? It's also possible it could be set with a key combination - what brand and model of laptop is it?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 frootqloop

frootqloop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

it's a dell. Model PP33L

Edited by frootqloop, 20 February 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#4 frootqloop

frootqloop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

bump lol. how can I attract the attention of somebody willing to help?

Edited by frootqloop, 03 March 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,233 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

A bump is fine. I was always willing to help if I can, but for some reason this topic didn't show up in my list as being one I hadn't checked since the last post.

The documentation I can find on Dell support doesn't give a full run-down on all the available BIOS options, so I can't be sure if there is any option in there to change the hardware video aspect ratio. <Fn><F8> seems to be the key combination that cycles through the video options, but they don't comprehensively list them all.

The fact that this occurs from the POST screen indicates it's a hardware issue, either a setting or a fault. Is the display the same within the BIOS setup screen? Do you know if the laptop will switch the display to an external monitor from the BIOS setup, to see whether it also displays the same?

Edited by Platypus, 03 March 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#6 frootqloop

frootqloop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

It shows on the left side in the incorrect screen resolution at all times. i have not seen the right side light up. fn f8 just flashes the screen on and off for a moment. and while in the Bios, fn f8 puts it on the external monitor. fn f8 also puts it on the external while in windows. but the issue still persists. although i can alter the resolutions if i extend my display. (on the external. the laptop is still messed up)

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,233 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

If the keyboard shortcut simply cycles between laptop screen/external screen (common), then unless there's a specific setting in the BIOS to change the screen mode between 16:9 and 4:3 (maybe with centred/offset selection), then I'm not seeing any further option than a problem with the video chip.

Maybe someone else who is very familiar with Dell laptops can suggest something. I'll ask if any of the staff have further suggestions.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Can you provide us with the Service Tag Number? Just to note nothing about you is accessible to the public by you providing us your service tag. It is located on the bottom.

#9 frootqloop

frootqloop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

service tag: 5f8nl(L)h1(one)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users