Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Missing Folders Messages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 airguy

airguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi All,

for a few months now, during startup after my desktop appears, I get 5 windows, one after the other saying that windows cannot find a certain file and that if I don't need it, to delete it in the registry. The file name is a series of letters, boxes, a y with 2 dots over it, etc. I click o.k. and the next window pops up. The file name is the same in the first 4 windows and slightly different in the last. I have to click ok on all before my computer will function. I've tried to search for it to see what it is but with no luck. It is pretty aggravating. Anyone have any ide how I can look for this thing or get rid of the reference so I can start normanlly? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi. Airguy.
Is there any optimizing or cleaning programs installed on the machine? If not, it reeks of malware....

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I suspect it's probably a startup entry remnant...from malware which has been removed.

Take a screen shot next time...and post it in your next reply.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#4 airguy

airguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi Bludgard,

thanks. No, I don't having any those running. And Hamluis, I think you may be correct. I believe this started just after I had removed some nasty malware. I have attached 2 sceershots. One is of the first window that pops up, and the other is the second one. And thanks to both for the help.

Attached Files

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi

I have seen this issue and i think you should find these SQUARES in msconfig too

Press windows+R key and type

msconfig and click ok

Click on startup tab

You should find an entry for this and its related registry entry

NOTE:Create a restore point before editing registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

LOAD or the RUN keys needs to be removed

You can manually navigate to the path and delete the entry

You can also use AUTORUNS

http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip

to Delete the specific key

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 19 February 2012 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users