Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother MFC printer remains offline

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 roegler1941

roegler1941

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

After a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition SP3, I've tried to print. The printer is a Brother MFC J270W that is USB wired to my wife's PC. It is set up to Share the printer, and when I wirelessly connect with her computer via our router, my system recognizes the printer, but gives its status as "Offline".

When I send a document to the printer, it goes into the queue, but never prints because of its "offline" status. I have tried the various suggestions I've found online, but they all assume I'll get a dialog box that offers "Online", which I never get.

I should add that the printer works perfectly when files are sent from her computer, and my own wireless connection used to work before I did the clean install.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roegler1941

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 outmeal

outmeal

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

You can start deleting this printer from your list, then access her shared folders

\\WIFEPC\

you should be able to see the printer.
next go to printers on windows xp (not sure if its called printers or printers or scanners but its on control panel).
then select "add new printer" , "network printer" etc.... sorry I have windows 7, but I'm sure you will get it, you don't need the drivers for this.

more stuff that you need to check is

1. is her computer on / username logged in , when you send a print job?

2. did she stop sharing the printer ? (check by opening internet explorer and type \\WIFEPC (change WIFEPC for her computer name! NOT HER WINDOWS LOGIN NAME!)

ok, test this method first.

my suggestion is to connect this printer to your router just like a laptop , then install drivers on both computers and send print jobs over the network,! according to google this printer is wireless and you dont have to connect a usb cord to it, you can have it on top of the microwave if you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users