Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking A Printer Over A Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:47 AM

I figured that I'd ask before I start breaking things......can I network the printer that's on my comp? It's some cheap dell printer that was given to us. As little printing as I (we) do, I keep it downstairs. My son's comp upstairs is set up via a wireless network....here's the question-->can I set up the printer so that he can print to it from his computer? I'm pretty sure that I can, but wanted to ask before I start screwing things up. Also, do I have to have the printers drivers installed on his computer? That one I'm not sure about....don't know if windows will just spool it and send it to my comp and let my comp print it or if it'll print directly from his computer. Both machines are running winxp pro BTW.

Thanks!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:16 AM

You can install the driver on the remote computer (son's) and install it over the LAN thru the router. It would be hooked up on your computer down stairs. Install the the Printer and Fax setup but select Network Printer instead of local printer.

Option 2 is a print server. You can buy one built into the router or you can buy a stand alone the plugs into the router like another computer. Here are two examples of wireless Print Servers...

Parallel Port Wireless Print Server
USB Port Wireless Print Server

Here are two examples of wired print servers...

Two Parallel Ports Wired Print Server
USB Wired Print Server
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

here is a checklist to ensure you are able to print remotely

1.is the printer properly installed on the local (the comp that the printer is attached to)?
2.did you "share" the printer? >right click on printer in controlpanel and select share, you will see a small "hand" underneath the printer to show you it tis shared.
3.are both your computers on the same "workgroup"? right click on "my computer" select properties, click on"computer name"ensure workgroup name is the same, it dosent matter what it is.
4.if both the operating systems are the same , you dont have to worry about drivers on the remote computer.
5.click on>my computer>my network places>view workgroup computers. can you see both computers?
6.if so, go toi the remote (computer that is not directly attached to the printer)and repeat step 5, once you see the "local" computer, click on it, you should now see all the shared folders and printers it has to offer.if you can see the shared printer, double click on it, this will connect/share/install the printer to the remote computer. it will also install the necessary drivers via the network from the priinter's computer.
7.if you need clarification here, post back, me or someone else can help make it more clear.

dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users