Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formating cells for negative numbers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

I am trying to make a spreadsheet AGAIN. This is probably the 10th time in the past few years. I get so frustrated I just give up. I'm going to try to be a bit more persistent this time. I formated cells for numbers. I entered the amounts and then realized much later that the numbers should have been shown negative because they were a "cost" or out of pocket expense. I've tried to fix all the cells at once but I can't figure out how. So I have been doing one cell at a time which is FRUSTRATING. I also has other months that I will have to deal with this problem and was hoping you could help me figure out how to fix this. The following list shows the numbers I have changed to minus/negative. All the numbers below those minus numbers should also be negative. Do I have to do this one by one or is there a way to do it all at once?

Item Purch Price
HD shirt -$2.95
Danica Indy car shirt -$2.95
Steve Madden denim heels -$7.00
Mauve dress barn dress -$2.00
Brighton purse -$3.00
Silk spiegal dress -$2.00
HD shirt womans -$5.00
Ann Taylor clutch blue -$5.00
Napoli slip dress $2.00
Kate spade floppy hat $2.00
brown/white geometric dress $2.00
Blk/wht halter dress $2.00
Candies shoes $0.00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi

Try this.
Save first to make sure we don't mess it up :)

This works if the values you want to change are all positive. It won't work for values that are already negative.

Select the cells that you want to make negative. Right click the selection and choose COPY.

In an empty column maybe next to the cells you selected if it is empty, right click a cell that you want to be the top cell in your list.

Choose PASTE SPECIAL

Under OPERATIONS click SUBTRACT

Click OK

That should make a column of negative versions of what you had selected. Then you can copy those and paste them over the positive numbers.

Hope this helps
James

#3 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I love you I love you I love you!!!! :clapping: LOL. Well I guess you can tell how happy I am because your directions worked!!!! Yippie! Thanks so much!!! Oh and sorry if I freaked you out with all the I love you's. I guess I should have put "I LIKE YOU I LIKE YOU I LIKE YOU" instead :P

#4 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Now is there a way to format some other cells to automatically be negative for new entries?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

I love the love :)

I don't recommend this because there are potential problems (you might be okay if you aren't doing anything fancy with this in the future) but you can...

Select all of the cells where you are going to be entering the numbers you want to be entered as positive but automatically turn negative.

Right click the selection and choose FORMAT CELLS

Select CUSTOM

And under TYPE enter

-$#.#0

Now all the numbers you enter in those cells will have a $ in front of it, display 2 decimal places and be the negative of what you type into it.

Love
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users