Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely Different Look to Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Everything was fine with the computer this morning, and I decided to run a full scan while I ran some errands (a full scan can take awhile, as you know). I made sure Microsoft Security Essentials was up to date before starting the scan (clicked on update).

When I returned, the scan was about 2/3rds finished, but the monitor looked odd. All the type was very dense and black (bold faced and hard to read) and any photos or graphics look strange as well, kind of psychedelic. Odd colors mixed in, some odd lines, etc. The theme seemed to be that old Windows theme...I don't remember if that is what I had on thee when I left..... Also, the visible part of the monitor (the working window area) had na large black border around it, like maybe 1.5 inches wide.

I restarted the computer and nothing changed. I fiddled with the control panel display settings and made things worse. I now cannot see what I am typing very well, and can't see at all what I am typing when in the browser bar (the only way I can tell where I am going is due to the automatic drop down window)

It's obviously going to do no good to start the computer again since I have done that twice. This is Sony Vaio laptop and is a good four to five years old. Have had no problems with it to date. Several months ago I went to the Sony website and checked for updates and it said I didn't need any.

Windows is set to auto update.
I did update Java yesterday (it's set to notify me automatically when needed), but the computer was fine after I finished that install/update.

Any place other than control panel that I can try to adjust the display?? Maddening. I hope the monitor isn't going out. I can see things, just that everything is off and wrong. Thanks!!

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2012 - 04:09 PM.
Moved from XP to internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

Model, Model could start with PGC, or PCV etc.

Then can you hook up to a external monitor and then turn on the laptop and see how the external looks.

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi Roger, thank you...the model is VGN-FE790P.

I have made some headway in improving the display (I can see what I am typing now) but it is still a noticeably degraded appearance. The text I am reading as I type is kind of greyed out, and the color that is there (dark grey) is not uniform across the characters). I also see grainy photos on websites with some lines showing. I tried all the adjustments to color and resolution that I could see on display properties (when I right click the desktop and go to properties...that is what I am using) The best correction was done by windows itself. I noticed an icon in the taskbar that was colred red and had a big X mark through it. When I clicked on it, a message from Windows popped up asking if I wanted Windows to automatically adjust the appearance (not sure if that was the exact term...it might have said display instead of appearance) and I said 'yes'. That seem to help. I also uninstalled the hardware (display adapter) and reinstalled, that didn't really do anything.

I 'think' i have an update bios, but not sure.

Text cleaned up a bit when I checkmarked 'clear type' in some display setting.

If you can think of anything else to try, let me know. Unfortunately, I do not have an external monitor that I can hook up to test.

I tend to think it's some setting or driver, since I have been able to make improvements with adjusting. Also, teh Sony troubleshooting process showed me photos of the kind of screen appearance I would be getting if the monitor were physically damaged, and I am not seeing that kind of screen appearance (large white blotches, for example).

Hi,

Model, Model could start with PGC, or PCV etc.

Then can you hook up to a external monitor and then turn on the laptop and see how the external looks.

Thanks
Roger

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi,

You don't know anybody with a Desktop monitor you could hook up to test?

How about trying a reload on the Video drivers.

Presuming it is still running XP?
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNFE790P&LOC=3#/downloadTab
download the video driver then
Go to the Control panel.
Uninstall the old driver
Install the new driver.

For the future unless you are sure someone changed them, Settings do not change themselves.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yes, still running XP.

Well, something screwed it up. The night before this happened, I was connected to the internet all night (fell asleep and woke up to Firefox still up on the screen). I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

Or maybe it was me..if I did change a setting, it was completely accidental.

I'll try the reload of the video drivers. If that doesn't do it, then I will have to track down someone to test this laptop out using their monitor. Thanks for the link!!

Hi,

You don't know anybody with a Desktop monitor you could hook up to test?

How about trying a reload on the Video drivers.

Presuming it is still running XP?
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNFE790P&LOC=3#/downloadTab
download the video driver then
Go to the Control panel.
Uninstall the old driver
Install the new driver.

For the future unless you are sure someone changed them, Settings do not change themselves.

Edited by Anonix, 21 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users