Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-ROM doesn't work, code 39 error, tried many things still doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jschuh10

jschuh10

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I am trying to use my CD-ROM drive and it doesn't work here are the list of things I have tried

Uninstalled and reinstalled the cd-rom driver it is a Matbleepa UJ-840D CD-ROM/DVD/CD-RW in my HP laptop (Didn't work)

Read stuff about code 39 and removed in the registry edit screen Upperfilters, Upperfilters.bak, Lowerfilters, Lowerfilters.bak and rebooted (Didn't work)

Removed itunes from computer (didn't solve the issue with cd-rom player)

Went back to a system restore point that was before the last time I used the CD-rom player and it worked and that (didn't work as well)

Read a lot of different posts about code 39 and nothing is given after the above steps are taken if it still won't work except to reformat which I would prefer not to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. Delete Upper & Lower Filters http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

#3 jschuh10

jschuh10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Tried all those steps and still gives code 39 error

I did have virus issues a couple of months ago but everything seemed fix, had some trouble with my network drives but uninstalled them and reinstalled them and now have no problems just the CD-ROM drive. Don't know if it is related to the virus I had, but I did use the DVD part of the computer after the virus issues and it worked at that time.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi -

Try THIS M/soft item for Code 39 Error, and run the automatic FixIt item there.
This problem is caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted.
It may be helpful to you -

Good Luck -
EDIT -
Link fixed -

Edited by noknojon, 19 February 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#5 jschuh10

jschuh10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ran the fixit program, it detected two problems, one was that it couldn't locate the driver and two that couldn't read the CD in the drive. They said it was unable to fix either one of the issues and referred back to the Microsoft website.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi

Make sure that you are virus free. Last December and again in the past week, I have been very busy with virus cleaning calls. When I clean them it's like 'everything including the kitchen sink' is being thrown at the infected computers and in some instances I'm seeing the file cdrom.sys show up as infected. This would cause the behavior that you are seeing.

James

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hi

Try this, If you do not have the I386 folder in the C:\ location (C:\I386) then

Take your windows disk and using another computer copy the I386 folder to a flash drive. Copy that folder to the C:\ on you boot drive. Being sure to use the proper disc.

Once you have the I386 folder try pressing the Windows key + R to get the run box. IN the run box type
sfc /scannow
That should bring up the system file checker which will look for missing, Corrupted or changed system files and if it finds anything it needs to replace normally it would go to the cd drive. In your case Hopefully the I386 folder and that will possibly cure your problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

BTW to test the CD drive itself try booting your OS disc in it. F12 for Thinkpads, Toshibas, Dells. Different keys for other brands.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 February 2012 - 12:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users