Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Account types

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

I've known for a while that it is not a good idea to use the Windows(XP)administrator or a user administrator account for general PC work especially when accessing the Internet. I've finally got arround to changing things on both of my PCs so that I use a User account with limited access for all general work.

One of the machines had the original Windows (XP) administrator account and a User administrator account. So I created a new User administrator account and changed the access for the original User admin account to Limited access, thus giving me 3 accounts i.e. original Windows (XP) administrator account, New User administrator account and User account.

With the other machine I was using the original Windows(XP) administrator account for normal use. So I created a new User administrator account and a new administrator account (which at the end I called 'administrator' and hopefully it would take the place of the original Windows (XP) administrator account), then I changed the access of the original Windows (XP) administrator account to a limited User account.

See below:-
PC1
Original Windows (XP) administrator account - remains unchanged.
Original User administrator account - changed to Limited user account.
New User administrator account - created

[b]PC2[/b
New User administrator account - created
Original Windows(XP)administrator account - changed to Limited user account.
New Windows(XP)administrator account - hopefully created.

I've noticed that access for the Windows(XP) administrator account (which is the original) on PC1 is greater than that of the new User administrator account on PC1. So I'm now wondering if the new Windows(XP)administrator account I've ceated on PC2 is the same as an original Windows(XP)administrator account that has not been used as a User account or otherwise messed about with? e.g. is it possibnle to create a proper Windows(XP) administrator account without reinstalling the OS. If not does it make any difference and what can I do to correct the situation.

I hope that all makes sense????

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JerrellT

JerrellT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Admin account are admin accounts. Their is no distinct difference between an original administrator and a newly created one, besides different personal files.

Edited by JerrellT, 20 February 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

User Accounts Overview

Louis

#4 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Admin account are admin accounts. Their is no distinct different between an original administrator and a newly created one, besides different personal files.

Thanks JerrellT, the differences I noticed I think were profile issues in that my User admin account can't access some of my anti-virus settings whereas the Windows admin accounts can.

Cheers.

#5 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

User Accounts Overview

Louis

Thanks hamluis,

It always helps if one (me) reads the *king manual :blush:

#6 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

There is definately something different between the in-built administration account and the new administrator account I've created. With the original in-built admin account I could fully access the Sophos AV configuration on the PC but with the new one I can't even though it has Sophos admin rights.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Why not simply reinstall the application?

Any number of things may have occurred...reinstalling from the desired account eliminates all the possibilities of error or corrupted Sophos app.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#8 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Why not simply reinstall the application?

Any number of things may have occurred...reinstalling from the desired account eliminates all the possibilities of error or corrupted Sophos app.

Louis

I had considered that option and dismissed it for the time being as I would like to get a better understanding of the problem and how to fix it. If I have no other choice then I'll have to reinstall the application, I may even have to go as far as reinstalling the OS but I hope not. If the problem is a configuration issue then I would sooner lean how to fix that.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users