Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no power

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pennz69

pennz69

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

i have a dell 910. ssd crashed. bought a supposed new ssd from a online store.they have a no return policy. now with this ssd installed the laptop will not power up. if i remove it it will power up. any suggestions, ideas or similar issues. :crazy:

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2012 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Make connection with the online shop were you bought the Laptop.
When you buy a product, than is there a warranty, the content of the warranty is, that the shop must sell a good product without defects.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

i have a dell 910. ssd crashed. bought a supposed new ssd from a online store.they have a no return policy. now with this ssd installed the laptop will not power up. if i remove it it will power up. any suggestions, ideas or similar issues. :crazy:

Can't say that there is adequate information provided to begin diagnosing the problem. :blink:
What exact make and model of SSD are we dealing with? Was SSD install media included in the purchase?
What operating sysytem is installed? 32 bit or 64?
What is on the SSD (OS, data, nothing)?
What -if any- messages are revealed when starting the machine?

Thanks

#4 pennz69

pennz69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

this is a sandisk 16gb ssd has no os on it at this point. i do not receive a message at all. the machine will not even power up when installed. i have had it to two people that have pc repair exp and they are questioning the ssd itself. i am planning on ordering again( from a better source) if i cant figure this one out. just hate to lose the money ive spent already.

thank you

Edited by pennz69, 19 February 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Do you mean to say that it is an external device that is plugged into a USB port or card reader? If so, theses types of media are unreliable at best as far as read/write capabilities and life-span.
One could attempt to completely wipe then fully format the drive. However, if the drive is faulty out of box, this will only increase the unreliability of the drive.
A small standalone app I use to test drive read/write rates and the stability of said drive is HD_Speed.
Note: HD_Speed will destroy all data on the drive in write mode.
Question:
What reason is there to leave the device attached to the machine during shutdown/boot sequence anyway? :mellow:

#6 pennz69

pennz69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:42 AM

this is the internal hard drive. it is a 50mm ssd 16gb. it is not an external drive.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hi,
Are these what you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=50mm+ssd&x=0&y=0

Sure sounds like the drive is shorted.

http://www.sandisk.com/ Maybe you can do warranty through the drive maker.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 pennz69

pennz69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

ok so i bought another ssd hard drive for this dell mini 910. i can not get it to power up. with either hard drive installed the indicator light comes on for a second then goes off. the screen will not come on. if i remove the hard drive i can power up and the screen comes on.so im sure i didnt get two bad hard drives from two different places. i took it to other people that thought the ssd was bad. but with second one doing same thing im not buying it. i dont have an old hard drive to mirror or image off of.

any ideas im at a loss :crazy:

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Are you able to boot the machine to Safe Mode with the SSD attached?

Edit:
Boot Dell 910 to Safe Mode.
And here.

Edited by bludgard, 25 February 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#10 pennz69

pennz69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

no it will not boot in any form... although i did get a response from someone in a dell forum that told me the mini 9 has to use a pata instead of a sata so i am going to try that before i give up. i will post the result when it arrives.

thanks for the chatter it helps me keep from going crazy. moved me in the right direction

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Question: How in the world have you managed to connect a SATA drive to a PATA interface? :crazy:

#12 pennz69

pennz69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

from browsing the photos of these products they appear to look the same. i am waiting on the pata to arrive. i will compare them when it arrives. hopefully it all works out

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sounds good. :thumbup2:

Edited by bludgard, 30 March 2012 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users