Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Practises for direct connection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mithos

Mithos

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hi,
Edit: Bollocks, forgot to specify Windows 7 in the topic title! Arghhh. Can't seem to edit it in too.
I have two laptops, and I want to network them directly. Just plugging in the cable works mostly, but I can see a few hiccups in the default setup. Basic functionality is there though...I'm just nitpicking. Both boxes are running Win7 (One's Ultimate, one's Home pro) and should be updated fully.

0) Network won't "identify" and stays labelled as "Unidentified Network" in the N&S centre (a utility which seems to be 99% balls anyway)
1) Network type on both boxes goes to public (bench icon)
2) Windows Firewall blocks ping going one way until I set an exception in the firewall. Filesharing seems to be broken one way too (definitely a firewall policy thing, because settings firewall/public to disabled rectifies the issue).

Is there a proper way to set this stuff up? Like, assigning static IPs on the two-system toy network somehow?
As far as I can tell, the boxes always use the same IPs.
I have no idea why the default for cross-over style connection isn't public. Isn't there a range of IPs (like 169.254.*.*) that is reserved for internal uses like this or something?

thanks all

:>

Edited by Mithos, 19 February 2012 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users