Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to uninstall Avast Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Claytronic

Claytronic

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

My normal Avast registration was expiring in 30 days so I renewed it and Avast offered me the choice to try out the Avast Internet Security trial for 20 days or something. I said cool, fine, I would try it out.

I don't like it, I'd like to get rid of it but I don't know how. I just want my normal free Avast registration back.
It had stated that I could "go back to the free Avast with just a click!" but I have no idea how.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by jgweed, 19 February 2012 - 09:18 AM.
topic moved to more appropriate forum. jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Claytronic

Claytronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

EDIT: I feel like a complete moron. Avast seems to have hidden where you click to get back to the free version. Sneaky sneaky..
Anyways, I went to Maintenance > "SUBSCRIPTION" [normally it would say REGISTRATION] and clicked the bottom arrow.. then "get back to Avast Free"

I apologize for creating this thread. It's no longer needed.. but I hope it helps out someone else wanting to get back to the free trial.

:thumbdown:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know it's possible and how to do it. I'm sure you will spare someone the misery you endured. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Claytronic, thanks for the update / resolve, it may have seemed obvious once you found it, but as Animal pointed out, it will most likely help another member somewhere down the line.

I like avast! and recently updated the program which - after the requested reboot - brings up this screen:

Posted Image

I just wanted to let the other members know (and remind them) to opt out of the Chrome web browser if they don't want it.

Never a fan of any add-ons, but that being said, I'm still a fan of avast! I just don't like anything bundled with an upgrade.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Claytronic

Claytronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Awesome, thanks Winterland :)

One thing about this new Avast that I dislike is that it doesn't like you uninstalling some programs. I was uninstalling old games I don't play anymore and it would pop up saying that the program looked suspicious.. and wouldn't let me uninstall it unless I clicked "open normally" in the dropdown menu.
Unfortunately, I don't have a screencap of it doing this, but it was a bit irritating having it constantly do this every time I tried to uninstall a legitimate game program.

It has to do with it's new AutoSandbox feature.. and I got around it flipping out by opening Avast, clicking "Additional Protection" > "AutoSandbox" > Settings > and unchecking "Enable AutoSandbox" while uninstalling the game(s). Then I went back, re-clicked the checkbox and "OK" once I was done.

Edited by Claytronic, 25 February 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Claytronic, you're welcome and thanks for the info regarding the AutoSandbox feature.

After my last post, I was going through all the new/updated menus in the avast! interface and thinking, 'oh, please don't let this upgrade become a chore'.

It's the reason I left Avira - which I was happy with - until the Ask Toolbar became unbearable and there seemed no real work around.

I love playing with my computer and all the apps and features but my wife was growling every time Avira told her 'oh no, something is dreadfully wrong!' so off we headed to avast! and have been happy since....I hope it continues to be that way.

enjoy the weekend,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

I just wanted to let the other members know (and remind them) to opt out of the Chrome web browser if they don't want it.

Never a fan of any add-ons,

I'm not a fan of add-ons either but wasn't surprised at the offer when I updated avast yesterday as many vendors are doing similar things. However, I don't think these offers should be pre-checked by default.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

But all of these companies download these extras by default and that's not likely to change because that's how they make money on the deal. It means that users need to be alert. We get enough users coming here wondering how they installed something that they don't want. They are obviously not paying close attention when something is downloading,

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

users need to be alert.

Yes...that's one of these keys to best practices...be alert when installing programs and READ everything carefully.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

it seems that if you want to opt out of "participating" in their "community", avast will nag you to do it every time you boot up. I don't appreciate that sort of thing; I may soon be looking to replace avast over it. apparently nobody ever told them that people do not like it when you But Thou Must! at them.

that said, when I upgraded it to begin with, it didn't try to foist chrome on me. I'm somewhat suprised they didn't do like with their obnoxiously persistent sidebar gadget and force it upon you with no question.

edit: huh. seems like the initial statement can be scratched; maybe it just nags twice? further edit as situation progresses.

Edited by ZT-repairseek, 27 February 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#11 Yiddish

Yiddish

• Banned Spammer
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

Sometimes itīs not possible to uninstall avast! the standard way of using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use their uninstallation utility aswClear.

1.Download aswclear.exe on your desktop
2.Start Windows in Safe Mode
3.Open (execute) the uninstall utility
4.If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
5.Click REMOVE
6.Restart your computer

#12 Claytronic

Claytronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tip, Yiddish! :)

#13 Lillielle

Lillielle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Aha! I still have the free version but when it upgraded, it decided to re-install Google Chrome (since I already -had- Google Chrome) and...grrrr. It's been ok aside from that, but I definitely was not happy. :P
Acer Aspire 5750, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i3 2.1GHz
"Neither the angels in heaven above nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users