Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Email in O.E.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

In order to free up some space and possibly give my PC a little more energy, I

periodically clean up by email in Outlook Express by deleting, but of course I believe that this is now stored in the local folders, . . have I created an advantage by deleting this mail, and would you know what effect it has now that it is in the local folders ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

You are correct that deleted mail is stored in a local folder. In order to delete the deleted mail you will need to compact Outlook Express. I realize you did not mention being asked to compact OE but the info below is valid.

This article Why You Should Let Outlook Express Compact Messages When It Asks You explains explain exactly what compacting messages is, and why you may be seeing that message. It's possible that you don't have a lot of kept mail; however, OE stores messages within a database, which tends to grow in size and degrade the perfomance of OE. Even previously deleted messages that are removed from OE take up space in that database. Compacting your folders will REMOVE all the records that you have deleted. It may simply be a case of to many so called deleted messages are sitting somewhere on your computer, taking up drive space. This is explained in more detail in the section "What Does Compacting Messages Mean, and What Happens?"

To manually compact OE:

Open Outlook Express.

Click on the "File" menu in the Outlook Express window and then click on "Folder."

Click on the "Compact All Folders" option. The compacting process will start.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 February 2012 - 08:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users