Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp blue screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kennyg74

Kennyg74

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi

I have a friends laptop which he had some issues with and in his wisdom and advice from sky was advised to reset the laptop to the original settings.

On doing so the computer just hanged and we couldn't get round it. On installing xp using an xp disk it reports it can't find the drive and setup fails, I've checked the bios and reset the default settings. I've formatted it on my pc(sata drive) installed xp using my pc and it works fine but with I put it back into the laptop it won't work. I also tried my sata drive from my laptop which has vista and it worked as well. So I can't figure which is at fault?

Thanks
K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hi,Kenny.
First off: I have never successfully installed an OS on one machine that can be run on another; the hardware the OS was installed to is not present when tranferring the drive.
Second: What exact make/model is the machine that is having the drive issues?
Third: Have you tried completely wiping the drive, formatting and installing?
Fourth: What exact make/model/year is the problematic drive?

Thanks
JobeWankanobe

#3 Kennyg74

Kennyg74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I discovered it was a bios setting, AHDC enabled. (something like that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users