Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emailing only one sheet from an Excel workbook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nivrip

nivrip

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi,

I have Excel 2007 and want to use MS Outlook 2007 for emailing. However, I do not want to email the whole workbook but only one sheet,or sometimes just a small selection and this does not seem possible at the moment.

I can copy one sheet over to a new workbook and then email the new workbook but I wondered if there was a quicker way to do it. I have heard that there are Add-Ons that can be downloaded which allow for only one sheet to be emailed. I found one called RDB Mail but as I went through the procedure I got warnings that it may have been an unsafe site so I did not continue with it.

Does anyone know of a safe way to do this? And, has anyone heard of RDB Mail (I found it on a Microsoft site) and, if so, is it safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Have no idea about RDB Mail. As for emailing one sheet? Does it have to be as an attachment, or can the sheet be embedded in the email?
If it can be embedded try the following for emailing from Excel:

Step One: Next to the save icon there is an icon that looks like a letter and envelope. Click this icon.
Step Two: Excel will prompt, and ask if you want to send just the active page/current sheet, or the entire workbook.
Step Three: Excel should copy the sheet to a new email message in your default email program.

If the spreadsheet needs to be an attachment? I don't know of any other way than creating a new single sheet workbook as you stated.

Maybe someone else has a tip or clue I'm unaware of.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 nivrip

nivrip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, Animal.

I've alredy tried your suggestion but when I click on the icon that you describe there is no prompt from Excel and no choice as to what can be embedded. It simply offers the whole workbook.

Incidently, Outlook is not my default email. Do you think this would make a difference?

I find that emailing anything from Excel seems to automatically go through Outlook and not my default mail. I assumed that this happened because both programmes are from Microsoft. Is there a way of going into Excel and instructing it to send info using a non-Microsoft mail system? (Gmail in my case)

Edited by nivrip, 19 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

My limited knowledge of Excel tells me that it would only work with another Microsoft product. I cannot envision Microsoft would make it easy to use a third party application. Since you are unable to use the mail feature in Excel. This tells me that the installation is limited or that it wasn't set up to use Microsoft mail features when installed.

Hopefully someone with more extensive Excel use and knowledge can confirm or refute my observations.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 nivrip

nivrip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

I have now solved it. :thumbsup: Hope this can help anyone else looking for the same answer.

I eventually found a link

http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mailenvelope.htm

which explains in great detail how to manually add the Send To Mail Recipient tab into Excel 2007. It does not involve any potentially dodgy downloads. I cannot imagine why it is not a default setting. :ranting:

I have done this and I now have the option to send the whole workbook OR the selected sheet. :)

Edited by nivrip, 21 February 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thank you for sharing your solution with the rest of us. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

You could highlight the cells and copy paste into outlook email.
Or "save as" and just save the sheet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users