Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Firewall Cannot be started

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JR19

JR19

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hi, I run Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, and I was infected with a nasty rootkit virus a while back. I kept getting infected, and I realized my firewall isn't active. I tried running it, and it gives me This error 0x80070424. At first, I thought it was because I didn't have Base Filter Engine running, so I got it running. However, in my services I don't seem to have a Windows Firewall service, but I do have the registry keys for it. What can I do to make my firewall functional again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samizdat

samizdat

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

You seem to be well versed with computers so forgive me if I insult your intelligence but Have you tried these solutions?

There are three good ones, the first, third and last. The first answer has three good solutions so really that's five.

Also, I have found Windows Firewall to be very liberal. I suggest you get one of the free yet more strict firewalls:

- ZoneAlarm Free

- Sygate Personal Firewall Free

- Outpost Firewall Free

- Comodo Personal Firewall

- PC Tools Firewall Plus

- Online Armor Free

If you have the cash, AV Security suites have pretty good firewalls i.e. Kaspersky, F-Secure, BitDefender or ESet.

Edited by samizdat, 18 February 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

However, in my services I don't seem to have a Windows Firewall service, but I do have the registry keys for it.

Can you start a command line (no need to elevate) and run the following command:
sc qc mpssvc

Do you get data or a message the service does not exist?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi

Download

FSS

Checkmark

Windows Firewall
Security Center
Windows Update
Windows defender

Click on "Scan".
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Also I need to know if you have following file and folder

C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM64 (not the sysWOW64)
C:/WINDOWS/system32/consrv.dll

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 19 February 2012 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users