Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No network adapter after reinstall of windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lyndsay

Lyndsay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have tried searching for what I need with no luck.
My computer is an IBM 8190KUE with an Intel Pentium 4 processor.
I reinstalled windows using an old cd I had because I could not find anything else. I used windows xp professional service pack 1.
What can I do?
There is no network adapter under device manager.

Edited by Lyndsay, 18 February 2012 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Try this http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/q37z47us.exe

#3 Lyndsay

Lyndsay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Try this http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/q37z47us.exe

I installed this and nothing changed. I still have no network adapter/drivers. Am I supposed to find something in the files I just installed or would it have fixed it by just installing the program?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Can you go to start then run and type in dxdiag and save the text file then go to http://www.pastebin.com and pastebin it then post the resulting link here.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

download and install sp2 and sp3 ,copy to usb or cd-r and install on the ibm ,this will help greatly in getting the network drivers to work

sp2 ---
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28

sp3---
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

I could be mistaken, but I believe SP3 is cumulative and contains whatever fixes are included in SP2. Installing SP3 requires at least SP1a as a prerequisite >>> (among other things). <<< very useful KB950717

Windows XP Wiki Service Packs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_packs

>>>Microsoft occasionally releases service packs for its Windows operating systems to fix problems and add features. Each service pack is a superset of all previous service packs and patches so that only the latest service pack needs to be installed, and also includes new revisions. However if you still have the earliest version of Windows XP on Retail CD (without any service packs included), you will need to install SP1a or SP2, before SP3 can be installed. Older service packs need not be manually removed before application of the most recent one. Windows Update "normally" takes care of automatically removing unnecessary files.<<<

In other words, you'd only need to install more than 1 service pack if you are updating an XP installation without at least SP1a.

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 February 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

you are correct ,myself i didn't know there was a sp1a, until i seen it on the link[or at least never took notice before ] i got the install from ,i had no way of know if OP hap sp1a so i just posted both as sp2 is needed to install sp3 ,for sure,i assumed they only had sap1 because there were using a install disk with xp sp1 on it ,

Edited by caperjac, 20 February 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

>>>i didn't know there was a sp1a, until i seen it on the link<<<

That makes 2 of us. :blink: I was under the impression that if you had SP1 (which the OP has) you could "skip" SP2 & install SP3 when I stumbled across the "1a" info . The OP may have to install both SP2 & 3, so I posted the above for informational purposes.

Hope this helps the OP, yourself & anyone else who stumbles across this thread.:)

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Then again there's always Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD

Another good guide: Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP3

I use nLite to update my XP installation CD to include post SP3 updates & hotfixes, IE8, WMP11, drivers, some applications, tweaks...& more.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

If SP1 is already on the system that should be fine. The only functional difference between SP1 and SP1a is the removal of the Java VM, required as the result of lawsuit. Because the original SP1 is legally non-compliant, MS documentation now refers specifically to SP1a or as a general reference uses the name in words "Service Pack 1".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813926

"Windows XP SP1a is the same as Windows XP SP1 except that the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a."

"Microsoft does not recommend that you install SP1a if you are already running SP1."
Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

If SP1 is already on the system that should be fine. The only functional difference between SP1 and SP1a is the removal of the Java VM, required as the result of lawsuit. Because the original SP1 is legally non-compliant, MS documentation now refers specifically to SP1a or as a general reference uses the name in words "Service Pack 1".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813926

"Windows XP SP1a is the same as Windows XP SP1 except that the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a."

"Microsoft does not recommend that you install SP1a if you are already running SP1."

then, the point is that its unlikely that the disk used by the OP is sp1a and it unlikely it it was one made with Nlite ,OP says they installed xp with an old disk they had ,with xp sp1 ,so it will be necessary to install sp2 and sp3 ,in my opinion

#12 Handyman2005

Handyman2005

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

You have to identify the Motherboard and what type of chip set is used for the ethernet adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users