Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fuzzy text on screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

My friend's Emachine's Computer, model T2042 with window xp shows fuzzy text on the screen. I have not ruled out the fact that the monitor may be bad. I have not found a monitor as of yet to try and see if this is the problem. I am also thinking it may be an outdated driver that could be causing this as this computer was purchased in 2003. I checked emachine's website and noticed that they had released a driver for this computer model as late as 2009. Would this driver be an update to the one that came with the machine, or would it be a complete standalone driver? This is not explained very well by Emachine and there are no longer any information listed for this computer on their website. Here what I am wondering. If I decide to use this driver from their websige, should I uninstall, or disable, the onboard driver first, or should I install over top of the old driver? It seems that if this driver was an update, it did not say, that I could simply install over top of the old one. However, if it is not an update, and it is a standalone driver, would this make any difference to install over the old driver? I do not want to make things any worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Can you take a picture of the fuzzy text?

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Cryptodan, I will have to work around my friends schedule. I will try to do this as soon as possible if I can figure out how to do the uploading on this site. I assume I will have to click on "attach this file" from the website then follow the directions. Thank you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

If it's only the text, and the graphics sections of the screen aren't fuzzy, then the commonest cause for this complaint is having ClearType turned on. You can check this in the Display Properties\Appearance\Effects. If it only occurs on websites, the browser may also have an option set to render text using ClearType.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Platypus, did they have the cleartype technology back in 2003? If so, I will check on this the next time I go to her home. Thanks.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

Yes, ClearType is font smoothing that is present in Windows XP and can be available in browser rendering engines. It softens the edges of text characters and to some people's eye (mine included) makes text look a bit fuzzy.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Cryptodan, Picture is attached, I hope. Platypus, I took the monitor off of cleartype. It did not change amything. I believe this will be my last post as my friend said she is going to use the computer as it is. I am going to give her an old 17" monitor I have later on. I am fairly satisfied that her monitor is going bad. Attached File  XPicture of Donna's desktop.jpg   52.2KB   12 downloadsThanks so much for everyone's help. It is much appreciated.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

I would try using a different font such as Times New Roman set to size 12 and see if it changes.

Via the desktop Appearance in the Display Properties. I would also try lowering the screen resolution.

#9 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

cryptodan, I already tried that and she had to scrool back and forth to see her text when she was on the internet. I changed it back to its original setting to where she did not have to scrool back and forth to read all the text. We are going to leave it as is until I give her my monitor which I know is good. Thank you very much. The picture I took of her desktop and forwarded to my computer was sharp and clear when I viewed it on my computer. This is another indication that it is her monitor which is bad.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

This is another indication that it is her monitor which is bad.

That would also be my conclusion.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

I would check the cables before determining the monitor is bad. A loose cable or frayed cable end can cause issues like this.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

I would check the cables

Agreed, good call.

#13 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for all your help Platypus & Cryptodan. I will check out the cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users