Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanreg/restore

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

If I use scanreg/restore to go "back in time"to a place where my computer was all warm and fuzzy and working properly,I know I will have to reload some programs and downloads but do I also lose data like photos and documents in My Documents?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:47 AM

Iif you mean MS Windows System Restore, you will not lose stored files, photos or documents; most applications - - -unless you installed them after the restore point- - - will continue to work.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

I'm talking about the registry restore that you enter from command prompt.Is that MS system restore?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

MS System Restore is the current version of the old scanreg.

Using scanreg /restore won't alter anything in your computer other than the registry. As our jgweed points out, you may have to reinstall a program that was installed after the date you restore to, but documents, pictures, music etc will be unaffected.

If you do a restore, bear in mind that you have five registry backups to restore. If you pick the oldest one, all the backups will be deleted, so I always recommend picking a recent backup first. You can go to scanreg /restore and view your list of backups without making any changes if that helps. After seeing what is available, you can simply exit the MS Registry Checker with no consequence.

Edited by Leurgy, 16 February 2006 - 10:53 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

Great!Thanks a ton,just what I needed to know :thumbsup:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

Your welcome.

You can also repair the registry (scanreg /fix) and optimize the registry (scanreg /opt) if you feel your registry needs it. Optimizing will compact the registry and remove invalid entries.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Ummm,I've seemed to have run into some unexpected difficulty.When I typed in "cd\windows\command scanreg/restore"I get"Too many parameters scanreg".What now?!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Did you leave a space between the scanreg and the /restore? That is important.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

I just re-tried it in case I didn't-same message.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

You are running it as..

Start>Run>cmd at the C:\ you are typing scanreg /restore

You are still getting the message?

#11 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

Can't do it from start>run>cmd.cmd gets me an error message"cannot find cmd or any of its' components".If I type command instead of cmd I get the DOS window.When I type just scanreg /restore,I get a message that tells me to shut down windows and run from command prompt mode.Which is what I'm going to try now.I was typing "cd\windows\command scanreg /restore"and was getting the "too many parameters"message at both command prompt and the DOS window.I will try new command now and get back to you.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

You are going to try it from Command line only in Safe Mode now?

#13 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

I restarted in command prompt mode and eureeka!!!Thing is I need to go waaaaaaaaaaaay back.If I select the earliest registry date,then exit,then go back in, will I get 5 more registry dates,so that if I kept doing that I could go back to the dawn of time!?Just kidding.But seriously I need to go back months,can I do that?

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:32 PM

The number of registry restore point depend on how much memory you allocated to the feature. It will only keep what it can store. when the cache is full the oldest is dropped from cache. You may have reached the limit.

#15 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:06 PM

Well nuts! There goes my plan.I wanted to go back to when my printer was working and I could download MS Windows Updates and didn't have all these IE script errors and my computer was my friend :thumbsup: .They say Apples don't turn on you;is that true?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users