Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

So my laptop was running the chkdsk utility when the power went out. I had my laptop plugged in and I didn't want to shut it down during the process, but needless to say, as time went on, the battery died midway through the process. Eventually, the power came back on and I plugged my laptop back in and turned it on, hoping that chkdsk would miraculously continue running from where it left off. It did start running (from the beginning) and I took a step away from it while I awaited the process to finish.
When it did, I tried to log into my account and got this prompt:
"The user profile service failed the logon.
"User profile cannot be loaded"
I looked up the problem and found this instructional video:
After following all of the steps to no avail, I looked around in safe mode to see if I could just start a guest account or something like that. Or to see if all my files were still available.
To shorten the story a bit, here's what I found:
  • The first thing I was greeted with upon booting into safe mode (or really any mode that gave me a user interface) was a window telling me that the location "C:\Windows\System32\config\sytemprofile\Desktop" was missing.
  • After exploring, I found that my user folder was empty. Completely void of any files.
  • Seeing as I was able to use programs, I decided to run a full scan with MalwareBytes. That was when I came across a folder called "C:\found.001\dir0023.chk" I stopped the scan and checked the folder out and, to my delight, in this folder were all my files! And they weren't broken or anything. They were exactly as I left them.
Now, in "C:\found.001" there are a lot of folders (folders go from dir0000.chk to dir0074.chk and there are .chk files that go from file0000.chk to file0091.chk). I can only assume that any other missing files or folders (including the desktop one) can be found in this directory.

So, here's what I need to know:
  • What exactly would be the cause of this? Granted, chkdsk was interrupted, but has that alone been the cause of a problem like this?
  • Is it safe to just move the files back to their original locations manually or do I need a specific program for this?

I would really appreciate some help, here.
-Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

What prompted chkdsk to run in the first place?

I don't have the time to make a full post, but as a first response, you need to take any important files you have and make a backup right away in case this is a symptom of something more serious.

Edited by LucheLibre, 18 February 2012 - 02:44 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

What prompted chkdsk to run in the first place?

I'm not exactly sure. Usually, it's only run at start up after I had to hold the power button down to shut down the computer.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Does it still allow you to login to the machine as an administrator?

Does safe Mode Work?

#5 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Does it still allow you to login to the machine as an administrator?

Does safe Mode Work?

If I'm starting up naturally without pressing f8 and going into one of those modes, I can't login at all (I get the same prompt about not being able to access the User Profile).
Safe Mode does work. Currently, I'm in Directory services restore mode.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Okay let that complete, and then if it doesnt allow you to login then simply create another account and see if your files are still under C:\Users then move those over.

#7 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Okay let that complete, and then if it doesnt allow you to login then simply create another account and see if your files are still under C:\Users then move those over.

Well, while in this mode (as well as in any variation of safe mode) it won't let me create another account. The option is there in control panel, but when I click on it, nothing happens. Can I just move the files over in this mode?

Also, will moving the files over fix the problem?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Try going to start then input control userpasswords2 and see if it will bring up the old style of adding users.

#9 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Try going to start then input control userpasswords2 and see if it will bring up the old style of adding users.

It worked! I created a new administrator account. Now can you guide me step by step on what to do next exactly? I don't wanna screw anything up.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Follow this guide: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx and it will be a piece of cake.

#11 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Follow this guide: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx and it will be a piece of cake.

Well, after going through the steps, I found out that all the files and folders are accessible to both user accounts on this computer.
I also tried logging into the new account I created, but I got the same "user profile" error prompt that I got when I tried to log into my original profile.
So far, I think that some of these dir00xx folders contain files that need to be in system32 or other parts of the computer. I guess I could manually move the files back to their original locations, but I have absolutely no way of being able to tell where their original locations were.
Any ideas?

Edited by TomD_HelpMe, 18 February 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#12 TomD_HelpMe

TomD_HelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Okay. I just did a couple of things that let me know I'm getting somewhere here.
First off, I moved the user data over successfully.
Second, I decided to go into System32 and manually create a folder called Desktop. The folder is empty, but when I type "Desktop" into the address bar in Windows Explorer, I see all the desktop icons I had.

I'm trying to put the Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos libraries back, but to no avail. When I go into Libraries and click "New Library", I get an error saying:
"Unable to create the file 'New Library.library-ms'
The system cannot find the file specified."

Can anyone make heads or tails of that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users