Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am infected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ad030579

ad030579

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hello

My Windows 7 PC got infected with malware over Christmas but one of your technicians kindly helped me to rid this, for which I am very grateful. However, today I have had someone from an Indian call centre claiming to be from Microsoft on the phone, saying it's in response to me sending error reports to them after various applications (notably Internet Explorer) have crashed. The lady on the phone asked me to right click on 'Computer', select 'Manage', then 'Event Viewer', and 'Administrative Events'. From here, I was able to tell her that I had 72,113 events listed, most of which were either warnings or errors. There was something very suspicious about this woman, especially when she asked me to log onto a bizarre-sounding website so she could remotely access my PC to get rid of these. At that point, I cut her off, concluding this was obviously a scam. However, I'm worried about these 72,113 events now. Could you advise me if these are indeed something to be worried about and, if so, how I can get rid of them? I've done a virus scan using AVG, but this has picked up no infection, though I must admit that Internet Explorer/logging on can sometime take a while to launch sometimes. All very confusing?!!

Many thanks for your anticipated help (again!).

Thanks

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

That phone call was obviously a scam as Microsoft will never call you.

If your computer is running fine there is no reason to dig through Event Viewer.
Every computer will have some errors listed there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users