Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Share Remember Password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

So I got my NAS set up with SAMBA sharing with my password so no one else in the local area should be able to access it. The problem is that I do not have a password on my computer and windows 7 is constantly trying to login to the network share with the username and no password on each boot. I have to manually enter my username and password each time I boot and the "remember the password" checkbox doesn't work.

One solution is to have a VBScript remove the network share and readd it using the username and password on each boot, but I wonder if there is a more elegant way of doing it than that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

To keep it simple use the task scheduler to do just that; make and connect a share by either your login or trigger of your choice.

If it's just for admin or maintenance use you can go so far as to install a tool like webmin which lets you connect to the NAS via http(s) and manage any/all settings and connections that way. You can move, add/delete files/folders, or copy as needed. Over kill for normal user use but fantastic for administration. (Used it for years until my server died 10 years ago but just checked that webmin for linux/debian is still alive.)

I usually just use "net use" commands to do things like this on the fly in nt/linux but only you know the level and requirements you need to use this connection. (At least the issues with windows shell password lengths have been fixed since SP1.)

Just my .02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users