Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUGGESTİON / RECOMMENDATİON OF FREE DRİVERS UPDATE PROGRAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hello,

İ have just uninstalled Driver Max that ı used for years

to update my drivers.

Could anyone please suggest / recommend a FREE replacement?

İ want a program,that any of you good people here,

are familiar and happy with

from a reputable company of course.

W.XP HOME SP3 İE8.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi Julia G,

Many believe that the only place to obtain reliable, stable drivers for your hardware is from the computer manufacturer or hardware manufacturer's website. Thus if your computer is an OEM product (Compaq, Dell, HP, etc.), the best drivers for your specific model would be found on their site. If it's an add on card (i.e. graphics card), the graphics card manufacturer's website.

Both third party "driver download" software as well as the "Microsoft Update" site are not the best options for "reliable, stable drivers."

There was a time in the past that I used third party software and Windows Update for drivers. For the many times that it was successful, there were just enough times that I experienced a significant system problem. The "newest" isn't necessarily the "best," if it doesn't play well with your system.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi and thank you for your input.

Yes my HP laptop is a OEM product,

however my laptop is 5 years old,

and the Driver Updates at the HP site,

are less then what i would call 'recent'

İ agree with you re:graphic cards

and do get upgrades from Hardware Manufacturer's website.

İ still would like a recommendation please,

from anybody else?

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

<<İ still would like a recommendation please.>>

You might try the All Other Applications forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum57.html .

The drivers provided for your system...do not need "updating" periodically. That's just a myth that some persons believe...that has no logic.

If your system has not changed components...and the drivers installed work properly...there is no reason to even consider replacing those drivers.

A change of O/S (from XP to Win 7) is a situation that may require different, updated drivers. Maybe not...as a rule, it probably will, IMO.

If a driver becomes damaged and (therefore) needs to be replaced...then I suggest using the drivers which worked before damage, if you have the drivers CD or saved them somewhere (my approach, included in my backups).

If drivers become damaged and user has failed to retain access to them...that is the time to go to appropriate website and obtain them...and then include them in your backups for the next time.

It's fairly common for drivers to become damaged at some time.

Louis

#5 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users