Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whitesmoke

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Talanta

Talanta

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hi, can any tell me how to remove whitesmoke from our browser? Advice please,

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2012 - 08:21 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hi, can any tell me how to remove whitesmoke from our browser? Advice please,

I don't understand what you do mean with whitesmoke from the browser, maybe is it possible, that you give a screenshot.
Than can we you better help.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Run a scan with Malwarebytes

good luck

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

The WhiteSmoke web site indicates it makes English grammar correction software, translation software, and other specialized English writing tools. However, many users have reported they did not know how WhiteSmoke was downloaded or installed. From our investigation and dealings with this software we are also finding many cases of it with a TDSS rootkit infection. So depending on the severity of system infection will determine how the disinfection process goes.

The web site says the software can be removed through Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7 so check there first, highlight anything with the name "Whitesmoke", select Remove and restart the computer normally. This appears to work in most cases with the Whitesmoke Toolbar but not with the Translator.

Please post the complete results of your MBAM scan for review.

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log have a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users