Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Minidump Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jerlands

jerlands

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've got an issue I'm trying to troubleshoot but minidump isn't outputting a file. I've changed my pagefile to C: and am letting windows manage it. In "control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery" under "System Failure" all boxes are checked i.e., Write and event to system log, Send an administrative alert and Automatically restart. It's set for "Small Memory Dump" to %SystemRoot%\Minidump. I've tried Ctrl + Scroll Lock X 2 but nothing. I've tried removing automatic restart but nothing. My issue is BSOD in Safe Mode (nother story) and seem to have a bad driver so minidump would come in handy if I can get it working. this is windows xp sp3..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

Hi and Welcome -
This facility will produce similar results, mainly if it is the result of Blue Screen problems. It creates minidumps.

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

You want Automatically Restart unchecked.

If you have certain programs (e.g., Ccleaner) installed and use it, it will automatically remove .dmp files...so I suggest not using such programs.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#4 jerlands

jerlands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hi and Welcome -
This facility will produce similar results, mainly if it is the result of Blue Screen problems. It creates minidumps.

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Thank You -

I have "blue screen" installed but from what I understand it needs the dump file to read. my problem right now is the minidump file isn't being created.

#5 jerlands

jerlands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

You want Automatically Restart unchecked.

If you have certzin programs (e.g., Ccleaner) installed and use it, it will automatically remove .dmp files...so I suggest not using such programs.

Louis

Thanks,

I have CCleaner and it was set to run at startup. I removed that option and caused the crash but still nothing. I've excluded c:/windows/minidump from future scans.

#6 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Are you quite sure you are experiencing BSOD's. If you uncheck Automatic Restart in System Failure that will freeze the Blue Screen next time it crashes. Then take a note of the error code and any named driver and put it in your next post. Some System Failures do not create a minidump file and I am not sure if they get saved when running in Safe Mode.

You may also find some usefull information in the Event Viewer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Look for critical errors under System and Application logs.

#7 jerlands

jerlands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Are you quite sure you are experiencing BSOD's. If you uncheck Automatic Restart in System Failure that will freeze the Blue Screen next time it crashes. Then take a note of the error code and any named driver and put it in your next post. Some System Failures do not create a minidump file and I am not sure if they get saved when running in Safe Mode.

0x0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF7570211,0XF78DA4E0,0XF78DA1DC)
WDFLDR.SYS ADDRESS F7570211 BASE AT F7567000

You may also find some usefull information in the Event Viewer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Look for critical errors under System and Application logs.

no critical errors.

I've run sfc /scannow, hijackthis and SafeBootKeyRepair.exe but am still getting the BSOD.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:05 AM

To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), please download and then run the following:

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 jerlands

jerlands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), please download and then run the following:

AutoReboot=FALSE
Caption=
DebugFilePath=%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
DebugInfoType=3
Description=
ExpandedDebugFilePath=C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
ExpandedMiniDumpDirectory=C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
KernelDumpOnly=FALSE
MiniDumpDirectory=%SystemRoot%\Minidump
Name=Microsoft Windows XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
OverwriteExistingDebugFile=TRUE
SendAdminAlert=TRUE