Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to share my media over WAN

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

On my server i have a 20GB partition setup ext4 for my Ubuntu Server OS, the other partition is for file storage which i have under NTFS, i have a samba running so all clients can use the file storage, i figured out permissions and everything runs very smoothly over the LAN. My last step is to get that media to be accessed over WAN. In any case ive been told to set up a web server. Im not sure how to go about that though. Should i use tools like SMB Web Client or SMB2WWW so i can access those files through a web browser? What is the best way to access those files over a WAN. Id like to also be able to control permissions as well as have a log in and be able to download and upload files. Thank you in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TroubleshootingFiend

TroubleshootingFiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

I don't know your exact situation, but to me it sounds like an FTP server would suit your needs. It would allow you to set up specific accounts, what they have access to, where on the drive they start (in which directory), download and upload files from anywhere, control which accounts have permissions to upload/download, and many more things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users